TV-Server capable of recording 4 simultaneous streams. (1 Viewer)

Subigo

Portal Member
November 6, 2008
Hi there,
Thanks for reading my post, I could use some help.

I am currently running a MP Tv-Server (1.5) with 1 wired, 2 wireless and 1 VPN connected client.
It is at my parents house and they like to record a LOT of programs. On top of that, I like to connect to their TV-Server over VPN to watch some live sports.

I use the DVB-IP tv cards to watch and record tv. I currently have 3 virtual IP cards in the server and sometimes when it is recording, on all 3 cards it will cause slight hick-ups.
These are the specs of the current server :

Core2duo E8400 CPU
2GB mem
Intel G33/G31 chipset video card.
WDC WD10EADS 1TB HDD
1Gb onboard NIC (Marvell yukon)
1Gb addon NIC (Intel Pro/1000GT)

I would like to build them a new TV server that is a little quieter compared to this one, but also is a bit stronger and will be able to handle 4 simultaneous streams.

I am thinking about :

ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ retail
AMD A10-5800K Black Edition
Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU (8GB DDR3-1866)
WD Red SATA 6 Gb/s WD30EFRX, 3TB
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B
Corsair Builder CX430 Bronze 430 Watt PSU

I should have a case lying around that I can use.

Should I add an SSD as an OS and timeshifting disk?
Do you reckon this server will be able to handle 4 simultaneous streams?

Thanks for reading and any advice you might be able to give!!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would advise you to first understand what is limiting your current server.
    CPU?
    HDD/storage?
    Bandwidth?

Only then can you decide what is important to extend the capabilities of your server.
    My own not-very-powerful computer is capable of recording/timeshifting at least 4 streams without problem.

Subigo

Portal Member
    November 6, 2008
    Hey mm1352000,

Thanks for the reply. Do you also use the DVB-IP tuners or do you have a TV Card ? Might be some difference there.
    I am not sure of using the DVB-IP card (which are virtual) takes an extra toll on you system.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I use DVB-T.
    DVB-IP does not take any extra toll... unless you have to decrypt the channels, in which case your CPU may be the limitation. Otherwise the limit could be the bandwidth available from your provider... in which case upgrading to the fastest computer in the world won't help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom