TV Server, Colossus, and DirecTV (1 Viewer)

toricred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Using only a single seat doesn't change anything from my directions because they are strictly for controlling the tuner and not MP itself. I use MCE remotes to control MP, but I don't watch on my system with the tuners. I watch on my three clients.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Toricred,

I'm in the process of converting over from SageTV, as well. It sounds like you have a very similar setup to what I am trying to do:

- DirecTV boxes with channel changing via ethernet / command line (not IR blasting)
    - HD-PVR

I have two HD-PVR's I wish to convert over, but for now am just testing the TV capabilities with my ATSC tuners. Can you provide me with any type of guidance on how you set up channel changing in the above configuration? In SageTV, I originally used a USBUIRT to perform channel changing on the DirecTV boxes, but then converted over to the ethernet-based command-line channel changing plugin that someone had developed over there. Are you actually using IRSS for anything? Is it installed as a service, or for applications?

Any help or setup tips would be greatly appreciated!

:D

toricred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2006
    Home Country
    I'm really busy tonight, but you should start by searching for DirecTV SHEF dll. I'll write with more details tomorrow.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks, Toricred. I think I have most of it figured out now. I have a single HD-PVR configured with all of my DirecTV channels, and channel-changing working through the ethernet utility you mentioned. I woul dhave never figured this out if I hadn't read your own support posts on here :) I guess it pays not to be the trailblazer ;)

What I cannot determine is the following:

- IRSS - Do I want this installed in Application mode, or as a windows service? I have it working in application mode right now, but I'm curious what happens when I reboot my server - as I don't log onto the box usually. I know a Windows service would auto-start, but I read you ran into some kind of a compatibility issue there. To be clear, right now, I am only using the Ethernet-based channel changing for DirecTV - I'm not using IRSS for any other purpose on the server.

Lastly, I need to start setting up the second HD-PVR with the same channels as the original one. I used the SchedulesDirect plugin to create the channels for me last time, but I'm guessing I will need to manually create them for my second HD-PVR. I need to research that more.

Anyway, thank you again for publishing those instructions earlier in this thread. You are a lifesaver ;)

I hope to be off of SageTV fully by the end of the weekend. SageTV was a great program, however not being able to buy client licenses, ceasing of development, and the fact that my HD100 box now is freezing my server on a daily basis tells me that it's time to move on to MediaPortal :)

:D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi CanadianEh

Just to note that I'm silently listening in. ;)
    Thanks indeed to Toricred for the instructions! :D

Lastly, I need to start setting up the second HD-PVR with the same channels as the original one. I used the SchedulesDirect plugin to create the channels for me last time, but I'm guessing I will need to manually create them for my second HD-PVR. I need to research that more.
    This is one I can partially answer (can't speak for the IRSS part). It is a two second job for the channels:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the "TV mapping" subsection under "TV channels.
    3. Select the 2nd HD-PVR up the top.
    4. Select all the channels on the left that the first HD-PVR can "tune" (which presumably the second HD-PVR can too) and click the ">>" button.
    5. Done! :D

mm

toricred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2006
    Home Country
    I am no longer using using IRSS. With the SHEF plugin I don't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom