[confirm] TV Server Config - Manual Control, Signal stats randomly changing (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I should say that with previous versions, the Signal Level and Quality didn't tend to change once I started manual timeshifting in TV Server config. Obviously one or the other might dip slightly I guess (I don't recall) if there was a bit of interference but nothing like what I'm now seeing.

Signal quality will go from 44->21 or even 1 and Signal Level will go from 100->1. During this no additional discontinuites occur (there were 6 when I first started timeshifting at 14:49).

I don't suppose they'll be of much use but I'll upload the logs from the HTPC (I'm typing this on my other PC).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Signal readings that BDA drivers provide are pretty much unusable.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Nonetheless I didn't see this happening with 1.2.3. I haven't updated the tuner card (Nebula) drivers but maybe something else has changed that might be causing this. I guess I should check with some other program to see if that shows these fluctuations as well.

I should mention I'm using my "Spare HTPC" system at the moment.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Nonetheless I didn't see this happening with 1.2.3. I haven't updated the tuner card (Nebula) drivers but maybe something else has changed that might be causing this. I guess I should check with some other program to see if that shows these fluctuations as well.

1) Applications itself cannot cause any fluctuation (so it must be drivers / signal / hw)
    2) Different manufacturers have different meaning for BDA level so they are quirte useless (some could show up in MP -> 100% good and 99% really bad)
    3) There hasn't been any signal level reading changes betweem 1.2.3 and 1.3.0

My bet is that around the time when you installed 1.3.0 there was bad weather and some part of the antenna cable did give in and now there is a wet antenna cable that behaves differently than before.

ps. I have seen that having multiple tuners sharing the same antenna cable cause really wierd issues to the signal quality when tuning happnes (like there would be some electricity peak coming from a bad HW - in my case Twinhan DVB-C was causing Floppy DVB-C to see really corrupted signal on when it was tuning).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    1) Applications itself cannot cause any fluctuation (so it must be drivers / signal / hw)
    2) Different manufacturers have different meaning for BDA level so they are quirte useless (some could show up in MP -> 100% good and 99% really bad)
    3) There hasn't been any signal level reading changes betweem 1.2.3 and 1.3.0

That last point seems the most pertinent. It doesn't seem to be affecting reception anyway, so I'll just disregard it. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @doveman: I wouldn't necessarily disregard, considering the discussion about random glitches that we're having in the other thread. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom