TV Server & NAS Unit (1 Viewer)

jk2300

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
Hi,

As a total nOOb to TV Server i have what might be a rather basic question:

Is it possible to configure TV Server to use a network HDD (a NAS unit) as the main drive for TV Server so that it uses this NAS unit for the Timeshift buffer and for recording shows?

the reason i ask is because that way you move a lot of the HDD activity out of the living room and thus decrease HD-noise.

Thanks & Regards

Jonas

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Basically the TV Server does not have to be in the living room (thats part of the whole idea ;-) ), but to my knowledge, yes you can specify where recordings & timeshift buffers go and they can be on a NW drive (no life experiance, though).

Best would be to stow away your whole server in a differenet room (server, attic, whatever) and have a smaller box as your htpc connecting to the server via NW (no local HDD access, except for OS & progs).

jk2300

Portal Member
    May 1, 2006
    Hi & thanks for the fast reply!

I appreciate the fact, that the server can be located in another room and then use a small box as client in the living room - i looked at a VIA fanless solution for use as the client because of the no-noise possibility and the low power consumption. Problem is, they are darned expensive and does not have a HMDI-connection for the plasma screen.

I wound up discarding my server-pc and byuing a NAS unit, since all i used the server-pc for for was storage anyway. The consequence of this is, that - since i want to use all the fantastic features of the TV server - I have to install the tv server and the mediaportal application on the same pc.

So I assempled a pc with HDMI-output, a fanless Power Supply, passive CPU cooling and 2,5" notebook HD which will act as both client and server in the living room :) Now "all" I gotta do is configure TV Server so it uses the NAS drive.

Best regards Jonas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom