TV-Server status/ list current active streams on Client (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have been thinking about the following situation:

• we have one TV-Server PC with 4-TV-cards
    • all 4 tuners are busy (recording/used by other clients)
    • now i connect to the tv-server with an other client
    • this means i would have 4 different streams i could connect to
    • but, on the client side i do not know which channels are active curently on the server
    • how about a "Active TV-Streams" or "TV-Server(s) status" in MyTV?
      where the client could see all 4 TV-channels that were active on the server currently
    • then the client could select one of these channels

GUI example created in Photoshop
    View attachment 956 View attachment 957

drfonz

Portal Member
    October 23, 2006
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Infinityloop's suggestion underscores a question that I have been meaning to ask for a while now. Does TV Server support multicasting? And if not, have you guys considered adding support for it?

The reason I ask is because within the home environment it might be desirable to watch the same channel over on multiple clients without time-shifting and multicasting is ideal for this situation, where the server does not require extra processing and/or bandwidth to feed multiple clients.

The sort of scenario I'm thinking about is the watching the football in the living room, and popping in to the kitchen to prepare some snacks/beers whilst still watching the live action in the kitchen's thin client :)

What do you think?

AL

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The sort of scenario I'm thinking about is the watching the football in the living room, and popping in to the kitchen to prepare some snacks/beers whilst still watching the live action in the kitchen's thin client
    if i understood that correctly, thats exactly like it works atm.

drfonz

Portal Member
    October 23, 2006
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This might be the case, but I have a feeling it is not doing it using multicasting, which means the server is streaming 2 separate copies of the same programme over the wire which in turn reduces the bandwidth for other things, as well as requires extra work from the server.

If this is not the way it's working at the moment, by all means please correct me!

I have tried getting the latest SVN with the TVPlugin to work with the TV Server to no avail. I can however watch TV with VLC by using the manual method.

If I open two instances of VLC on my client machine with a time delay, the second stream starts where the time-shifting started, and NOT time-sync'ed to the first stream, which does NOT fit the scenario I described above (which is more akin to watching standard analog TV on two different sets). But then again, since I haven't managed to get the actual client to work, I'm not sure whether it would work differently then :)

Thanks!
    AL

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have been thinking about the following situation:

• we have one TV-Server PC with 4-TV-cards
    • all 4 tuners are busy (recording/used by other clients)
    • now i connect to the tv-server with an other client
    • this means i would have 4 different streams i could connect to
    • but, on the client side i do not know which channels are active curently on the server
    • how about a "Active TV-Streams" or "TV-Server(s) status" in MyTV?
      where the client could see all 4 TV-channels that were active on the server currently
    • then the client could select one of these channels

GUI example created in Photoshop
    View attachment 956 View attachment 957

I'd like to raise my hand in agreement on this feature!!!

In my townhouse I only have one cable outlet (in the livingroom on the main floor) but I have a PC in the basement and two upstairs which all connect to my main HTPC (running BTV at the moment).

I've been impatiently waiting for the new TV Engine to come out and even though I'll probably wait until there's a stable release before I switch completely, I played with it briefly and am even more excited about it now!

This idea from Infinityloop is even more icing on the proverbial cake!!

Great job everyone!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    and frodo has allready added it :)

works nicely

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    :eek: Now that's what I call Customer Service!

As much as I would love to switch back to MP right away and use the new TV Engine......my partner would kill me if his soaps didn't get recorded every day and my sanity isn't willing to take that chance! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom