TV Server - UK - IPTV? (2 Viewers)

LeaUK

Portal Member
December 3, 2011
Hi Robbo

Me thinking out aloud...

perhaps it' because I'm not convinced that all programmes can be caught up on on iPlayer, ITV etc.... maybe I should spend more time within their web front ends???

I also think they're just not so user friendly as a Freeview+ PVR, each having different interfaces, each having differing storage policies etc.

Perhaps I should just buy a Freeview+ PVR LOL!!!

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.
Lea

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Perhaps I should just buy a Freeview+ PVR LOL!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

A DVB-T card can be bought for less than £15 and will work perfectly with MediaPortal. Why not just go down that route, then you can use Online Videos for a backup in case you forget to schedule a recording! That is how everyone else uses MediaPortal.

Robbo100

LeaUK

Portal Member
    December 3, 2011
    £15 blimey, all I can see is around £50 from scan.co.uk....who are normally aggressive at pricing!

DVB-T - could be a great crimbo pressie ;-) perfect :)

Cheers
    Lea:D

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    LeaUK,

One thing you also might find interesting, is that unlike other mediacentre software, MediaPortal will record/view the WHOLE Mux with a single tuner (WMC will only record/view a single channel from the Mux). This means that with 2 tuners (as suggested by Ray), you can record lots of channels simultaneously. Using Sandy Heath as an exampe (my local transmitter), if you tune to BBC1 to watch TV, you can (at the same time) also record all the following channls:

BBC Two England,
    BBC Three
    BBC Four
    CBBC Channel
    CBeebies
    BBC News
    BBC Parliament
    BBC Red Button, 301 301
    BBC Radio 1
    BBC 1Xtra
    BBC Radio 2
    BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 4
    BBC Radio 5 Live
    BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra
    BBC 6 Music
    BBC Radio 4 Extra
    BBC Asian Network
    BBC World Service

With the second tuner, you could then record all these too (at the same time):
    ITV 1 (Anglia West)
    Channel 4 South ads
    Channel 5 Part Network ads
    ITV 2
    Channel 4+1 South ads
    More 4
    E4
    ITV 1 +1 (ITV Meridian Southampton
    Rabbit
    Gay Rabbit

Pretty cool eh? (no jokes about me watching Rabbit or Gay Rabbit please)

LeaUK

Portal Member
    December 3, 2011
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

2 tuners is always good and being able to record the whole Mux on both, even better :)

What's your thoughts on USB devices, it's just that I 'may' change my HTPC case to something like ZBox mini HTPC - Detailed item view - Custom built Home Theatre PCs from my-HTPC

Also, are there any combo cards that support DVB-T and DVB-S (and pref HD)? I have both feeds but this would give total flexibility...

One last thing (sorry), what makes the card compatible with MediaPortal...is there an HCL list?

Big thanks
    Lea

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Anything with a BDA driver is supported.

USB devices are fine. The faster the device that is connected, the quicker the channel changes will be, but USB will work with no problem.

There are plenty of combo cards. Look at the BlackGold website, they are all BDA devices.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I just want to check - but you know you won't get HD TV over the aerial with this don't you? You will only get Standard Definition via DVB-T in the UK. If you want to get HD, then you need a device that is DVB-T2.

Robbo100

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom