tv-server which tuner hdhomerun or hdhomerun prime (1 Viewer)

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am fixxing to drop the sat and go with cable... I am going to do the digtial service I can add HD for a low cost over digital but I am told that I need a HD box that the cable company will give you.

My question is can I use the hdhomerun or the hdhomerun prime with out the hd box.. I know I cant record anything encrypted but I am sure that is mostly movie channels which I am not going to use.

I havent bought ether one of the tuners. I feel these are the best choices since I have my tv server on a 2008 server.

My cable provider is charter.

I assume on the reading that the client pc will use the server to watch streaming tv and recorded. I dont understand the scheduling will that be dont from the client and the server will use that to record. Also is there a plug in to not record the commercials?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi bc0508

My question is can I use the hdhomerun or the hdhomerun prime with out the hd box.
    Yes you can. Make sure your client PC is powerful enough to allow you to view HD streams though.

I know I cant record anything encrypted but I am sure that is mostly movie channels which I am not going to use.
    That is correct at this stage. Might pay to double check how many channels are actually free (might only be your local OTA channels which Charter should be re-broadcasting over cable).

I havent bought ether one of the tuners. I feel these are the best choices since I have my tv server on a 2008 server.
    My understanding is that most digital tuners should work with Server 2008. Yes, we don't provide support for that OS, but have a look around the forum and you'll see that quite a few people use it.

I assume on the reading that the client pc will use the server to watch streaming tv and recorded.
    Correct. Of course the client and server can be one and the same PC.

I dont understand the scheduling will that be dont from the client and the server will use that to record.
    You schedule from within MP yes - the client.

Also is there a plug in to not record the commercials?
    No, but there is ComSkip support. You can set up ComSkip to process your recordings so that ads can be skipped when you view them. I've never used ComSkip so I'm not sure how reliable it is, but worth a shot.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom