"TV Servers" list empty?? (1 Viewer)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm trying to install MediaPortal 1.3.0 on my server, which is running Windows Server 2012. I've installed my BlackGold BGT3600 with the latest drivers and then run MediaPortal setup (master, TV server only) using my existing MySQL 5.2 installation. But when I launch TV-Server Setup, there is nothing listed in "TV Servers" so I cannot continue.

What have I done wrong?

EDIT: I tried DVBViewer and it can't find my tuner card either. I don't know what to do to fix it since I am using the latest drivers.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When you say nothing listed in TV Servers, you mean no BG tuners are listed right?
    What does device manager show - any exclamation marks?
    Note you need to restart the TV service after installing new tuners.
    A PC restart might also help.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    I mean NOTHING is listed in the "TV Servers" section. I did some research and had to enable BDA compatibility by copying some files from Windows 8 to Windows Server 2012. That fixed the issue, although now I can't seem to connect to the TV server from any client machines (although the "test connection" in MediaPortal Config works). I just get the "Loading Window Plugins" screen for ages and then the MediaPortal home screen is invisible (can just see the desktop but no mouse). Still trying to figure this out...

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I mean NOTHING is listed in the "TV Servers" section. I did some research and had to enable BDA compatibility by copying some files from Windows 8 to Windows Server 2012.
    Ahhh, right. Assumed you knew server versions don't support tuners out of the box.

...although now I can't seem to connect to the TV server from any client machines (although the "test connection" in MediaPortal Config works). I just get the "Loading Window Plugins" screen for ages and then the MediaPortal home screen is invisible (can just see the desktop but no mouse). Still trying to figure this out...
    Logs? :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, so your server name is HDA, yes?
    If your server runs a firewall (don't forget the Windows firewall) make sure you have allowed MySQL and the TV service (TvService.exe) to have full access. Outbound is the most important, but inbound doesn't hurt either.
    Likewise on the client: make sure MediaPortal.exe is allowed to access the network. Inbound and outbound are required. Private and public. Full access.

If that is sorted and you still have problems, open a command line (click start, type cmd, enter) and type ping HDA.
    If everything is working properly, that should resolve and connect to your server. If not, please report and we'll troubleshoot from there.

Last edited:

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    A ping test gives a hint to the problem I think. HDA used to be 192.168.1.99, but is now 192.168.1.139. However, if I ping HDA it pings 192.168.1.99. If I force the server address to 192.168.1.139 in gentle.config, MediaPortal starts but then when I click on TV, the line in the gentle.config file changes to include "HDA" instead of the IP address. Perhaps that means it's looking for 192.168.1.99 still.

How do I fix this? "ipconfig /flushdns" doesn't help. :(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You can edit the Windows hosts file:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hosts-file/
    ...and fix/override the HDA <--> IP address association.
    Or, change to an IP address in the gentle.config file on the server (and copy it to the client).
    This is why we always recommend using [static] IP addresses as opposed to hostnames. ;)

Note: in case you weren't aware, the gentle.config on the client should be thought of as a shadow copy. It is pulled from the server in certain cases, so it should always be changed on the server side.

Last edited:

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Yeah I've always used IP addresses, it's just that it kept converting it back. Anyway, I finally figured out how to remove old entries from my router so I could re-use the 192.168.1.99 IP address and, so far, it seems like everything is working now. :D

Channel changes seem about the same as they were when I was using a combined server/client main HTPC machine (2 seconds ish). Just need to set up MDAPI now. ;)

Thanks for your tips mm1352000!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom