TV Setup with a cable box (1 Viewer)

ShadowB123

Portal Member
December 14, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am new to this part of MediaPortal and have read many guides on how to setup the TV Sever but, am having issues setting this up with a cable box.

I am using Hauppauge 2250 TV tuner card and want to use a external cable box with it.

I live in the US, can anyone provide me a step by step process on how to set this up?

I am looking for a free TV guide setup if possible.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I live in the US, can anyone provide me a step by step process on how to set this up?
    In short, no... because the process varies widely depending on what kind of set top box you have, what kind of blaster you want to use, and how you get your guide data. You haven't mentioned or decided on any of those three things.

I am looking for a free TV guide setup if possible.
    Good luck with that.

With guide data you mostly get what you pay for. The only free guide data source for the USA that I'm aware of that is currently usable is the IMDB + WebEPG option. It's quite tricky and time-consuming to setup unless you're an ace with XML. Even if you succeed, you may not be able to get data for all your channels.

My advice would be to go with SchedulesDirect (MP TV Server plugin available via the MediaPortal Extension Installer). There's a 7 day free trial, and after that it's still only $25 per year. One of the best things about it is that it can create all your channels for you. That's a huge time-saver. The alternative is to create all your channels manually, which doesn't even bear thinking about. Even if you decide to go with WebEPG or some other option, you should still sign up for the 7 day SD trial in order to avoid having to create your channels manually.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom