TV tuner card advice for Australia (1 Viewer)

Jimmy_C

August 8, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi

I've been using WMC without an issue for many years. However I want to upgrade to Windows 10 and hence I've decided to make the leap to MP2. I currently have a Leadtech Winfast FVT 2000 card in my computer. Whilst it worked flawlessly with WMC, it seems to be able to only find 5 channels with MP1 or 2 (as opposed to the 33 that WMC finds). So I was wondering if there are any recommendations for which tuner cards seem to work best with MP2, particularly with Australian channels. I am time poor so I'm happy to spend money in buying a new card rather than spending a huge amount of time getting the current card working, although of course if there is an easy solution than I'm happy to give it a go.

Thanks,
James.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome James! :)

The fact that your tuner finds any channels probably indicates it is working fine, and therefore no need to buy a new one. First thing I'd do is check that MP is actually scanning the right frequencies for the region you live in. These Aussies found we had the wrong frequencies for them, and so maybe the same is true for you:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-gets-every-sydney-station-except-sbs.131521/

There's a link in that thread that points to a webpage with a list of all Australian frequencies.

Regards,
    mm

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am in Canberra and I find that to get all the channels I selected "All Regions" under the Australian section rather than the region specific selection. If I select the Canberra specific section I do not get all the channels.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Skywizard
    If I select the Canberra specific section I do not get all the channels.
    Please if you know that we have wrong tuning details, take 5 minutes and help us to get them right. We rely on people just like you to keep our tuning details up to date.
    As per the other thread, you can apparently get the correct list of frequencies for various Australian regions here:
    http://ozdigitaltv.com/

It should only take a few minutes to find (in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters) and correct (XML files can be edited in any text editor; format should be obvious/self-explanatory) the tuning detail file, them submit an update here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/submit-epg-grabbers-and-tuningdetails.296/

Thank you! :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the report James. :)
    Please could you also submit a tuning detail update for us as described above so that other people don't run into the same problem.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The frequencies listed in the Ozdigital web site are correct so if they are used in the regions then that should work. I am not sure if you are aware that we had a digital retune. I am using the Tuggeranong Hill transmitter.

I took a look at the XML file for Canberra and that would account for not getting all channels as the ones I need are not listed in the Canberra region whereas they are for the "All regions" - will take a look at doing an update (looks like a fair bit of work to do all the individual regions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom