TV Tuner Suggestions (1 Viewer)

cwhelms

January 13, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey,
I am currently looking for a tuner card for my desktop. My question is what all hauppauge cards will work and what other brands do you prefer. I would like it to include the MCE remote or a remote (with IR blaster) of some kind. HD capture would be nice but isn't necessary. I just don't want to buy a card that for some reason wouldn't work with MediaPortal. Thank you and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! :D

wojciech_ste

Portal Pro
September 30, 2007
Vienna/Austria
Home Country
Poland Poland
HI Cwhelms,
In my MP "carrier" I tested alredy 3 TVCard.
1.DigitalRise DVB-S PCI Sat CI (Mantis chip on board)
2.TerraTec Cinergy S2 CI, DVB-S2, PCI
3. TechnoTrend S2-3200 HDTV-S2
On my system with WindowsXP/SP3 the best card are definitely the technotrend one. I haven't any problems with the scan of channels and also HDTV channels works fine. I can definitely reccomend you this card. I use "EVR" mode with this card. Newest Directx9 version and also the newest DBA driver is important.

cwhelms

January 13, 2009
Home Country
Thanks for the reply. Isn't the technotrend one you mentioned for satelitte use? I am on cable. Still open for more suggestions as well. Thanks in advance! If ya'll could pick one from newegg.com or buy.com, that would be a preferred place to buy one for me. Thanks

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
I've got a Hauppauge 150 for analog cable, a Hauppauge PVR USB2 for analog cable, and a Hauppauge HVR-1250 for digital cable (clear QAM channels), though I can't get the analog side of the card to work. The HVR-2250 would be better than the 1250 for hardware encoding instead of software encoding. All are attached to my TV server.

HD capture there's not a lot of options, other than the Hauppauge HD-PVR. Seems to be supported in the forum. This is would useful for encrypted channels you need the cable set top box for - if it's just locals over clear QAM, the 2250 mentioned above would be good.

I have analog/digital cable, where most basic cable channels are broadcast in analog (channels 73 and lower), and the locals are broadcast in clear QAM. So no set top box needed for my use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom