tvheadend... anybody? (1 Viewer)

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

as a long time user of MediaPortal and a 'lover' of open source mindset, I always have mixed feelings when using MP because it runs on MS Windows. In fact my HTPC's en TVServer are the only Windows machines in the house, the rest runs on Ubuntu.

I know there are alternatives to MP in the linux world but as stated: I love MP!

recently I came across this: tvheadend, a Linux-based 'TV server' and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Could this be my ride to have finally a linux based server (my tv server is also used for mail / web / etc.)?

Looking forward to any experiences with tvheadend and possible integration in MP client!

Regards,
    Ruud.

MrAP

September 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!
    Tvheadend is the most easy and quick setup that I have ever tried!!! Even with scrambled channels. I use the XBMC to play the live tv and tv recordings.
    Just install it and go to the web interface and do some settings for yor tv card, search for channels and thats it. You will be up and running in 5 minutes even with the scrambled channels if you have a running cs.
    This is how a TV server should work....

Hopefully it will be integrated so that MP can be a client to it?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Tvheadend is the most easy and quick setup
    Where the hell ist this setup quick and easy???? TVHeadend Stetup is way to complicated. You need to adjust network, channels, broadcast and lots of other stuff... The devs of TVheadend also uses terms not known outside the TVHeadend community. I simply can't read and understand what most of the options are about. Then you need to scan channels for every tuner available over and over again. On MP I only do a single channel scan once. This will be good for all tuners and for all future installations as long as the broadcast companies don't change there stations. If I do a fresh install of MP TV Server I only need 2 minutes to have all up and running again. This did not mean there is no space left for improvements in this area... TV Setup could be much more easy as it is now. This is true for all TV Server solutions available including MP.

I've tried TVHeadend once (with an Openelec installation) and I couldn't manage to get it working in several hours (the channel Scan lasts about 2 hours solely, and this for each tuner...) Another great disadvantage is the need for a second Computer to setup TVHeadend (at least if you use OpenElec, as there is no webbrowser available on this). So I gave up. And the missing Timeshift feature is also a total NoGo atm... I think the setup needs a lot of rework before you can tell average users to have a look at TVHeadend. MythTV is way more complicated to get up and running, also it has lots of features missing on TVHeadend. So atm there is no usable TV Server solution for Linux at all...

BTW, MediaPortal and Linux this will never be going together. MP depends on soo much stuff only available on Windows Platforms so there is no way to port this to Linux at all..

Hopefully it will be integrated so that MP can be a client to it
    I'm 100% sure this never will be happen. TVHeadend has no benefits to a Windows only Application like MP.

toga67

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Lehmden, i fully agree. I also tried TVheadend and i was not able to scan all free to air channels. I only got about 30 channels on astra 19,2 but there are a few hundreds. The front end is not intuitive. For me it is unbelievable that such a "simple" application is so complicated to use.
    As far as i know timeshift is available in an beta release and the channel switching times with the frontend XBMC are very good.

Last edited:

MrAP

September 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!! :)

I only tried it for the Swedish DVB-T, but I still think it the easiest TV-server that I have tried, including MP!!
    I also like that you can use your android tab as a TV-client.
    I have never got the MP up and running i a few minutes with the same funcionallity.

But as far as I know, I'am allowed to have my opinion....
    And I have also been running MP for some years...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'am allowed to have my opinion
    Sure!
    I'm really no newbie if it comes to PC and all this. I never gave up on something I really wanted to try. The first time ever this happened was at TVHeadend Setup. It's simply not usable if you have multiple SAT tuners available... This was the most complicated configuration I ever encountered since sendmail... Maybe it's a lot more easy if you only have a single DVB-T tuner... MP is always complicated the same, no matter if you have a single DVB-T or a dozen Tuners with all transmission types mixed all together...

Duke_ivo

Portal Member
    June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi,

I'm MP user since 2008. On weekend my HTPC motherboard died and i needed fast backup, so i took RaspberryPi and set up XBMC and TVHeadend in very short time on the same RPi - not all working well as RPi has CPU limitation but as fast backup it was really good. And it has easy and understandable setup.
    Also cost performance index - RPi costs 40$ and mine dual Core Win7 HTPC ~800$ - i'm definately not in rush now to fix HTPC.

P.S. Yes MP has gone far ahead, but if i have to remember those nights in 2008 before i got it up and running - TVHeadend was faster nowdays.
    I wish i would have MP config as easy as in XBMC - all from the the app, not to have to exit and run Config.exe.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I wish i would have MP config as easy as in XBMC - all from the the app, not to have to exit and run Config.exe.
    Did you ever look at Setting inside Mediaportal GUI?
    Since 1.3.0 they are almost the same as was in standalone config

Duke_ivo

Portal Member
    June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Did you ever look at Setting inside Mediaportal GUI?
    Since 1.3.0 they are almost the same as was in standalone config

Can't anymore as mine MP crashed. But do you really can do all MP config from there ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom