Two Questions: Original title and The Girl.... (1 Viewer)

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey there,

RoChess I must say this is a great plugin! It serves me very well as I had been struggeling a long time with scraping my movie database. Thanks for that!

Still, I've got two problems. Maybe you can help me or point me in the right direction. I'm not that into the technical stuff but tried to solve it by reading here in the forums. Couldn't figure it out though....

Here we go:

1. I have a few non-english movies in my db. Mostly german but as well some other european stuff. So I enabled the "use original title" feature.

2012-06-07 - Image -001.png

Result is, that I will get german (my systems default) titels for non-english movies. But as well for the non-english/non-german movies. Example: The french movie Pauline a la plage will be renamed to Pauline am Strand.

2012-06-07 - Image -000.png

This happens to all non-english/non-german movies with one exception...

2. I have the three parts from the original swedish Steeg Larson series in my db. Those will be handeled as follows:

2012-06-07 - Image -002.png

Don't know why the have been titled in english and I find the enumeration a little bit odd. Is this meant to be like that?

Thanks for your help!

Luca

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi Luca,

This scraper started out as pure English. Then I added a rename system which would during import lookup the movie and see if it should be renamed to 'group' it. Then later I added support for alternative languages such as German.

The problem you are dealing with is that the rename system is not functional in German language yet (or any of the other non-English for that matter).

But there are two solutions to this problem.

Solution #1 = Disable the title rename system, which will stop using the default English rename database to rename titles during import.

Solution #2 = Add your custom preference to the custom rename database to overrule the default one with whatever you want/prefer.

You do this by going to: Start Menu -> All Programs -> Team MediaPortal -> MediaPortal -> "User Files" -> "IMDb+" subfolder.

Here you will find "Rename dBase IMDb+ Scraper.xml" and "Rename dBase IMDb+ Scraper (Custom).xml". The first one (default) is updated auto by the IMDb+ plugin whenever I commit a change to it. The 2nd (custom) one is all yours to modify however.

Right now they have a slightly different syntax way, because I improved upon the default rename system and did not wanted to make everybodies custom file stop working.

The format/syntax is really easy and when you open the file in notepad, you will see:

<rename id="tt0000000" title="Change the IMDb tt-ID and this example title to get started" />​
    So all you have to do is add this to it:​
    <rename id="tt1132620" title="Män som hatar kvinnor" />
    <rename id="tt1216487" title="Flickan som lekte med elden" />
    <rename id="tt1343097" title="Luftslottet som sprängdes" />​
    Or if you prefer to retain grouping, you can try:​
    <rename id="tt1132620" title="Millennium Series I: Män som hatar kvinnor" />
    <rename id="tt1216487" title="Millennium Series II: Flickan som lekte med elden" />
    <rename id="tt1343097" title="Millennium Series III: Luftslottet som sprängdes" />​
    Whatever the title="..." part contains is what Moving-Pictures will show (when you refresh/update the movie first inside MovPic or via IMDb+ plugin hidden menu options). So there is one other option you can do:​
    <rename id="tt1132620" title="Män som hatar kvinnor" sortby="Män 01" />
    <rename id="tt1216487" title="Flickan som lekte med elden" sortby="Män 02" />
    <rename id="tt1343097" title="Luftslottet som sprängdes" sortby="Män 03" />​
    And this will sort the movies at a different position then their title, but keep in mind that this can look confusing with a movie starting with letter 'F' sorted under the movies with an 'M', which is why for the default rename system I had to add all those prefixes that gave some sort of logical reason for the sorting.​
    The majority of movies series names are derived from the title of the very first movie, but that would have resulted in: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo II: The Girl who Played with Fire". Most skins have limited horizontal space to show a title, hence I made the personal call ti make it "The Girl I: Who Played with Fire". It is impossible to please everybody, and perhaps I should have gone for the "Millenium Series" one, but right now I don't wanna change it back because it will change that for a lot of users that reimport and then have trouble finding it vs where it always was for them.​
    But each individual user can use the customs system.​
    Down the road I plan to make it easier to add entries, via the IMDb+ plugin, but lot of things on the todo list and little time :)
    PS: and yes that's me at Trakt.​

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    RoChess! Thanks for your very detailed response! I just took your second option and copied it to the said file. Works just fine... I also put my wished titles for the french/serbian/croatien movies there and I'm good!

When doing so it just came to my mind again: It is a very tricky task to manage your movie-db and even more to develop a tool which handles the information put to it automatically. I'm still agonizing which logic would fit my needs the most... Maybe one cool option would be to get the language of the main audio track in the file and then use that for language.... Just a thought :)

Thanks very much for your help and your great work!

Luca

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    MovingPictures relies on MediaInfo to find out the details on the mediafile and there is no real support on audio track language. Also this is actually a setting in the container format (AVI/MKV/etc) that has to be properly set by the encoder. So it is easy for a German audio track to be configured as 'en' by mistake.

So will first have to wait for MovingPictures to be expanded first to support audio track language support and allow scraper-scripts to do something with it. IMDb+ is really at the bottom of the food chain process with limited abilities that I've already stretched far beyond what is normally expected from a scraper-script.

I do hope to eventually figure out a better system to deal with the non-English rename system though and other improvements. So stay tuned :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom