Two simple ideas on MP recording improvement! (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    May I suggest the following:

Improving usability of timeshifting
    If timeshifting, say 10 minutes, one press on the "Stop" button on the remote (or the equalent keyboard-button) should "stop" timeshifting, in the sense that the playback should jump to live-tv. Of course the user should be able to rewind in the timeshift like always.
    Think of it as a way to map a button to multiple presses on the right-button, which in the current MP brings you live (end of timeshift file).

Improving usability of recording
    When one or more channels are being recorded, one press on the "Stop" button should open a popup-window with a short info on the channels currently being recorded, and the user could then select which recording to stop.

Example:

You are currently recording this, which recording do you wish to stop?
    - BBC1 One - Living together
    - Sat1 - Kraftwerk concert in Berlin
    - CNN - 60 minutes

The user should then scroll down like in a normal context-menu and select "Sat1 - Kraftwerk concert in Berlin" and press OK (Enter). The recording should then end.

If the user is both timeshifting and recording, then one press on the "Stop" button should stop timeshifting (as first suggestion) and the next "Stop" should then brig up the above suggestion.

The two suggestions above offcourse only applies to the TV-section!

I'm positive that this is easy top implement, as this brings no new stuff into the picture, only...shortcuts to achieving the desired.

I find the current way to stop a recording way too long and very little userfriendly.

:D

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I fear the basic concept of MP will not allow switching from timeshift-file to live-stream. OR???

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I fear the basic concept of MP will not allow switching from timeshift-file to live-stream. OR???

Its just a seek to end of the timeshifting buffer, nothing more special than that :)

Excactly :D

Fun part of this is that my number 2 suggestion was recently added to SVN, but as a button in the TV-section (i only found out after posting this topic) So, it is absolutely doable and should only be a trivial job. Unfortunately I'm not quite a C++ programmer myself.

Maybe the code from the TV-section could be copied to the Fullscreen-TV-window.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Well, i took on the job to make a plugin to do the things described in my original post. The plugin works.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to override the default actions of keys already mapped to a function, for instance i cannot let my plugin listen for presses on the "stop" key/button, as the default action seems to override this :(

Will post back here if I get it fixed...

[edit]
    Well, actually you can make it work right now, but only mapped to buttons like "p" or "b", as these buttons have no current function when you watch fullscreen-TV.

Let me know if you want the plugin to test it.
    [/edit]

Deusxmachina

Portal Member
    August 19, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    May I suggest the following:

Improving usability of timeshifting
    If timeshifting, say 10 minutes, one press on the "Stop" button on the remote (or the equalent keyboard-button) should "stop" timeshifting, in the sense that the playback should jump to live-tv. Of course the user should be able to rewind in the timeshift like always.
    Think of it as a way to map a button to multiple presses on the right-button, which in the current MP brings you live (end of timeshift file).

I was about to write a similar request and saw this, so here's a bump.

Basically, it would be a "catch up" button that fast-forwards you to the right on the timeline/buffering as far as it can to where you are watching "live" TV again.

Perhaps a simple(?) way for a somewhat-similar result would be to have fast-forwarding turn into "play" if you reach the right side of the buffering. I just tried that, turned on 16x fast-forward speed, but instead of it hitting the end of the buffer and going into "play" mode, the video completely stopped.

GeoffC

Portal Member
    June 8, 2008
    Home Country
    The fast forward function on my setup goes to the end of the buffer and tv continues to play from there. I normally use the step function which will jump to the end and also continues to play normally from there. I am using MP version 1.02

Deusxmachina

Portal Member
    August 19, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, huh. I tried it again, trying it with both x32 FF and the step-forward button, and it went into Play mode both times. Maybe the previous time was just a glitch. I should have known more experimentation was in order!

Good enough for me! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom