UK Signal Oddness - Cant channel scan until after 6pm (1 Viewer)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    So here is a very odd issue. I cant scan for new channels until after around 6pm. I can watch any existing channels, and everything is fine, so its not a signal quality issue.

At first I thought this was MediaPortal related, but reproduced it using a command line tuner made for my TV Card.

If I try a channel scan (DVB-T) during the day, usually I get no channels. I then try when I get home in the evening, and it picks them all up.

So why on earth can I not do a channel scan during the day? The channels work fine, so its not like they are off or at low power

Very odd!

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Red Lodge, Suffolk, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oddly enough we had a similar issue recently. A local firm had installed an aerial and amplified distribution box from where all the TVs and TV Server were fed.

At times it was impossible to get any signal, then it would suddenly return - usually around the same time every day. It transpired that the aerial installers had plugged the distribution box into a multway socket behind a bookcase - all of this without telling us. The multiway unit was plugged into a socket in the living room. My mother-in-law (who is exceptionally old and lives with us) was turning off the socket at around 22:30 and not turning it back on again until early evening the following day.

Is that scenario a possibility for you as well?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi revs

*Very* strange issue!

If I try a channel scan (DVB-T) during the day, usually I get no channels.
    So when TV Server scans, it locks on the muxes but they all return "no channels" (ie. it is definitely not "no signal")?
    I guess it could possibly be a timeout issue. Try cranking up some of the parameters in TV Server configuration->general->scan. In particular, try the PAT, PMT and SDT. Would be good to see some TV Server logs too.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    is this on all channels? also what transmitter? with digital switchover they are doing a fair bit of work during the day and dropping the power as a result which might explain it

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Yep its very odd!

Its with all channels. I get no signal. However If i try and watch a channel then its fine.
    In the evening if I rescan then I can pick up the channels. Very odd! I'l try increasing the timeout next time this happens.
    Our digital switchover is at the end of April, so will see if that helps!

The aerial goes into the attic and then splits down to multiple rooms. I cant get to the attic so no idea if there is a booster there or not (rented house).

Anyway - was just a very odd situation :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I'd agree with Jameson_uk on this, Had similar power drops during daytime whilst working on Winter Hill transmitter before full changeover occurred, so roll on April :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom