UK Web TV – “Project Kangaroo” (1 Viewer)

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
An interesting story yesterday about discussions between the main UK terrestrial TV broadcasters (BBC, ITV and Channel 4) to launch a “Freeview” style on demand broadband service.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,2102842,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

I guess this is where HTPCs have an advantage over Set Top Boxes as they have the flexibility to change and adapt as new services come along.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not time to get rid of my TV aerial just yet though.;)

Still to many limitations program\quality wise, but i say the more the merrier that join the joost revolution.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    When services like this (which if backed by the BBC appear more mainstream) roll out, it will also highlight the deficiencies in the broadband infrastructure in the UK.

If lots of people started to download programs, in order to maintain a service, the ISPs would probably have to apply traffic shaping and throttling much more heavily than they do now.

Also, anyone on a 1GB / month capped usage package could easily use up their month's allowance downloading just one show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom