unable to do a complete uninstall of Media Portal 2 (1 Viewer)

Heather Drew

January 4, 2016
Home Country
Australia Australia
I am relatively new to media portal 2. Both our computers died recently and with new computers using windows10 I thought MP2 would be a good alternative to Windows Media Player.

I have set Media Portal 2 up successfully on one computer but am wanting to set it up on my brand new HP Pavillion Laptop to use with the TV temporarily until we get the other computer repaired. I messed it up. Firstly I didn't get the media player set up before I installed MP2 and secondly I had installed Mcafee Virus protection program unintentionally which caused firewall problems. I have uninstalled Mcafee now as I don't want to use it.

I want to completely uninstall MP2 but the menu to choose a complete uninstall as described in Wiki Doesn't come up and when I reinstall, all my settings and problems are still there.

The problems I have are I am trying to fix by a new reinstall are:
1) When I scan for TV channels I get no signal but I checked device manager and updated the driver for the tuner and system says tuner is working properly. I checked all my settings are the same as on the other computer where I have it up and running properly.

2) When I try to play a movie which is on an external hard drive I have configured as a media source. It says no media item found. It does play music which I have on the internal disk drive.

I think I have lost the log file as I have uninstalled MP2.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I want to completely uninstall MP2
    There are two folders where MP2 got installed. First is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal" where all the binaries and similar are installed and second is "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal" where all the data (config, cache,...) is installed. ProgramData normally is a hidden folder, so you must tell Explorer to show hidden folders. If you are deleting both folders all that was left while regular uninstall is gone.

1) When I scan for TV channels I get no signal
    This can have tons of reasons. Only a few examples: bad cable, bad drivers, other software is using the tuner,... So without logs it's not possible to help you here.

When I try to play a movie which is on an external hard drive I have configured as a media source. It says no media item found.
    Have you looked at them in "Movies" section only? If yes, please have a look in "Videos" section. Every video file, no matter if it is a series, a recording or a movie is primary a video and for this it is shown in "Videos". If the importer can find useful metadata for the video it will be listed in Movies or Series too. But only if MP2 can identify the movie/series 100% correct and unique... E.g. if you have a video named "Godzilla.mp4" this can not be identified as there are lots of movies named Godzilla out there...

Maybe your movies are named in a way, MP2 can not identify them correctly. If they are in Videos and not in Movies too, you know where to start.

But most likely this also can not be solved without log files...

Aside this it really would be helpful, if you fill out the system specs in your user profile and public the. This is helpful on all hardware related issues (like your "No Signal" issue)

Heather Drew

January 4, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thank You so much! I was able to completely uninstall MP2 after following your advice. After doing a clean reinstall, I have successfully scanned for channels. I haven't checked the Movie thing yet as it is still importing data, but I think will probably work now. I did put all my system info up (it took me ages) but maybe I didn't make it public. I will keep it in mind if I need help again:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom