Unable to open Mediaportal 1.2.3 in Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

Rebecca Collier

January 4, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I hope someone can help me please....!
I have just upgraded to Windows 8 and previously had Mediaportal working fine on XP.
I tried to load the Beta version of Mediaportal (1.3) but my PC wouldn't allow me to load it on at all, but I've been able to load on version 1.2.3.
I have been able to configure Mediaportal in the Mediaportal configuration and in the TV Server configuration without any problems.
But here's the rub...
The shortcut icon on my desktop that says 'Mediaportal' (i.e. the program launch icon) only seems to open the Mediaportal configuration screen NOT Mediaportal. I've been through the program folder but can't seem to find anything else that works there either.
Please can someone help me ! I love Mediaportal and want to use it as I've just upgraded my PC to accommodate it.
Thanks
Rebecca
PS I am reasonably proficient with computers but please bear in mind my programming skills are zero! Thanks ;)

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Rebecca,

welcome to the forum!
    Your problem looks uncommon to me, let's see what we can do to figure this out...

Just to get the picture...

I have just upgraded to Windows 8 and previously had Mediaportal working fine on XP.
    Did you do a windows upgrade from xp to 8 then? If yes MP 1.2.3 was there before the upgrade? If yes again was 1.2.3 running fine after the upgrade?

I tried to load the Beta version of Mediaportal (1.3) but my PC wouldn't allow me to load it on at all, but I've been able to load on version 1.2.3.
    Are you talking about the the setup.exe here or did you manage to install 1.3 beta (over 1.2.3?) and it just wouldn't load?

Independent of what your answers are I would recommend to get rid of all MediaPortal stuff on your system and do a clean install.
    If you still can enter the config you might be lucky with installing the backup plugin and backup your databases/thumbs and settings before doing the de-installation. Nevertheless starting from the scratch might be the best advice here as well.

Luca

Last edited:

Rebecca Collier

January 4, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi

Thanks so much for your prompt reply, Luca!

Just to clarify...
    I installed a new SSD at the time of upgrade, so I did a clean install of Windows and Mediaportal. I tried to install Mediaportal 1.3 first, as the information stated this version was compatible with Windows 8 but it just wouldn't load. I got a message along the lines of 'Microsoft haven't given us the information they promised us so we could get Mediaportal to work with Windows 8'. I then tried to install version 1.2.3 and this installed without any issues.

Any other ideas, please?

Thanks
    Rebecca[DOUBLEPOST=1357375356][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry... I've just re-read the final part of your message. I will try another clean install of MP first and see what happens!

Rebecca

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1.2.3 isn't meant to work with Win8, is it?
    No it's not. 1.3 beta isn't supported officially either but it runs here smoothly on 2 systems. The devs' goal is to support it completely in the final.

I tried to install Mediaportal 1.3 first, as the information stated this version was compatible with Windows 8 but it just wouldn't load. I got a message along the lines of 'Microsoft haven't given us the information they promised us so we could get Mediaportal to work with Windows 8'.
    I really wonder about that because it ran fine here. Of course there is this warning about win 8 not being supported completely but you just press ok and it'll be fine... Which version of Win 8 are you running (Might be helpful to fill out your system specs :))? And just to be sure, did you get the setup here http://sourceforge.net/projects/med...3.0/MediaPortal_Setup_1.3.0_BETA.zip/download ?

Rebecca Collier

January 4, 2013
    Home Country
    Thank you both for your comments.

Luca - thanks for your help and advice. In a round about way your help has helped me to fix the problem.
    I uninstalled MP and reinstalled version 1.3 (I somehow managed to fool it into installing the program instead of booting me out half way through the install). I was still having the same problem with opening MP from the program launch shortcut - it kept opening the configuration.exe.
    So I took a look at your system specs to see what information you needed from me and it dawned on me that you were using a different skin from the one I had been used to using in MP in Windows XP. I think Titan is bundled with MP 1.3 ? So I chose another skin that looked similar to the one I was using before (the archived version of 'Frames') and it works !!!!!
    So thanks very much for your help.
    I've posted this in case there is a bug in Windows 8 with the Titan skin that needs fixing and in case anyone else has the same problem I did.

Rebecca.

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Windows 8 + MP 1.2.3 and MP 1.3.0 works for me perfectly.

The only points that I have in mind about this are:
    - 1.3.0 says "Win8 is not supported" when you start the configuration or the first time you start MP. This can be ignored
    - The configuration is always started before MP is started the first time. After that MP starts normally.
    - Most issues with Windows 8 occure due to the UAC configuration and administration rights. Due to this fact I've installed MediaPortal on another hard disc drive or at least not in the "Program Files" folder. Some software makes problems with administration rights on your "c:/program files" folder. Here you would only have the possibility to give administration rights to mp or to change some rights in your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom