Unable to tune TBS8922 (DVB-S) (1 Viewer)

gfsolutions

January 17, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: As installed
Windows Version: 7 Ultimate x64
1. TV Card: TBS 8922
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: 1.0.1.2
2. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: 7.9.1.29297

The problem I am experiencing is that I am unable to tune in my DVB-S card. Each time I try to scan using the 28.2E Eurobird 1 - Astra 2A... satellite settings, all I get is "Nothing Found" on most transponders (and "No signal" on the others).

I know the card and the disk are OK, and they have successfully scanned for channels under NextPVR (which I would rather not use as it appears to be somewhat underdeveloped compared to MP).

I have uploaded the log files.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Guy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome Guy :)

Sorry for the delayed response. I had looked at your logs but I confess they're a little puzzling.

First question: are you using the latest drivers from TBS? They provide relatively frequent updates on their website.

Could you also try something for me:

1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the TV tuner list.
    3. Select the 8922 and click edit.
    4. Change the "preferred network provider" to "DVBS" and click OK.
    5. Rescan and see if that helps.

Please keep me in the loop. I'm in close communication with TBS so I can raise the problem with them quite quickly if necessary.

mm

gfsolutions

January 17, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am currently running version 1.0.1.2 of the driver (see attached screen shot).

I followed your instructions, but to no avail (see attached screen prints & log files).

Since my original post I have been able to scan with this card in Windows Media Center, but would very much like to still use MediaPortal.:confused:

Any further suggestions?

Thanks

Guy

Attachments

• Driver Version.jpg
      Driver Version.jpg
      29.9 KB
    • Scan running screen.jpg
      Scan running screen.jpg
      224.2 KB
    • Scan completed screen.jpg
      Scan completed screen.jpg
      216.7 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Guy

I think I've spotted the cause in your logs: are you using the LNB override frequency settings when you scan? I ask because I see the following in normal scan logs when people select the "Ku-Linear (Universal)" band type (as you have done):

LNB low:9750 hi:10600 switch:11700

In your logs I see:

LNB low:9750000 hi:1060000 switch:1170000

Looks like an unusual number of zeroes to me. The unit for those fields is MHz as stated beside each field. If you want to explicitly enter those values (which is not necessary when you select the "Ku-Linear (Universal)" band type) then the values you should use are:

Low = 9750
    High = 10600
    Switch = 11700

I recommend that you don't use those override fields unless it is absolutely necessary. They're only there to support LNB ("band") types that aren't in the predefined list.

mm

gfsolutions

January 17, 2010
    Home Country
    Yup, that's it!

I must have changed those settings when I was trying to get MP to work with an earlier driver. Shows what a little knowledge and a lot of access can do.

I'll now go and finish my MP config now (wasn't much point without this working).

Many, many thanks for your help.

Guy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Guy

That is excellent news! :)
    I have to say that was a tough one to spot. The thing that had me so confused was that the tuner was showing that it was always locked onto signal but not finding channels. I would have expected it to be reporting no signal. Anyhow, once again I'm glad to be able to help. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. If you haven't discovered it already, our wiki is a great source of info.

Good luck with the rest of your setup!
    mm
    :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom