Unable to watch 1 HD channel and MP freezes (1 Viewer)

mrspock

Portal Pro
September 14, 2008
Madrid
Home Country
Spain Spain
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 wide
Windows Version: W7SP1 pro 64b
CPU Type: Intel core 2, 2.40GHz
HDD: Western Digital 1Tb
Memory: 6Gb
Motherboard: Intel DG965WH
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6600
Video Card Driver: 8.17.11.9713
Sound Card: motherboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: High Definition Audio 6.1.7600.16385
1. TV Card: Pinnacle Dual PCI DVBT
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.2.0.0
2. TV Card: Technisat Skystar 2
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
2. TV Card Driver: 4.6.0
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MS DTV-DVD Video Decoder
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: MainConcept AVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: 19.2ºE Astra, 28.2ºE Eurobird, 30ºW Hispasat, 13ºE Hot Bird
HTPC Case: Thermaltake Bach
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: imon 7.85.0222 (firm 0x30)
TV: Loewe
TV - HTPC Connection: S-video

We have several TV channels broadcasting HD channels. I can watch all of them, but one.

I have tried to watch it several times, during the last 8 months and MP always got frozen. I can not do anything else with MP, but killing it.

Now I decided to obtain some logs in last 20-May. The steps are quite simple:
  1. 1:22: Try to watch channel "TVE-HD pruebas"
  2. MP do nothing else
  3. Run windows task manager to close MP

I have read elsewhere that other Spanish users are having the same problem with MP and this channel.

Any ideas?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

My guess is that the problem is something to do with the E-AC3 (DD+) audio. There don't seem to be any problems in the logs though. Have you tried updating your FFDShow and have you checked that E-AC3 decoding is enabled in the FFDShow settings?

Are you able to record that channel? If so, what happens if you try to play a recording from it? Can you play the recordings in other software such as VLC?

mm

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thanks a lot for your quick answers and your ideas.

I hadn't try to record it before, so I have just recorded 3 minutes from that channel and I was able to play it within MP (perfect video and audio). :eek:

So it was really a surprise for me.

I don't understand FFDshow and all the stuff about codecs... But I have just checked ffdshow audio decoder configuration / codecs and E-AC3 is enabled using libavcodec.

Do you think that updating ffdshow will solve my issue? (yes, I know that the answer is that it should be updated, as it is over 1 year old). But I am quite afraid of touching anything that deals with the dark world of codecs... :mad:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again mrspock

I happened to be checking the bugreports when I noticed that you had replied to me here but I had not responded - *I apologise*! :sorry:

In answer to your question: you could try updating FFDShow, but it seems strange that MP played the recording fine. Further, it looks like MediaPortal is not actually using FFDShow when you try to watch the channel live. The graph in your logs shows the Mainconcept Dolby Digital Audio Decoder instead of FFDShow. Perhaps the Mainconcept codec doesn't support DD+? In any case, MP should be using FFDShow if you tell it to use FFDShow!

I have some recommendations for you to try.

1. Try using the Microsoft codec instead of the Mainconcept codec for h.264 video (TV).
    2. Try to disable audiodualmono switching in MediaPortal configuration (you can turn it back on later if you need it).

It would be really useful if I could have a short recording (max 50 MB) for testing. You can upload it to our FTP server (login details at the bottom of this wiki page). Note: I don't need a dump - a simple recording is fine...

Best regards,
    mm
    :)

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi mm1352000

First, you don't need to apologise... I am sure you are quite busy helping everybody here...

But I do need to apologise, because I made a mistake: I have just noticed that I recorded a different channel. So my test is not valid. :oops:

So I have repeated the experiment: Recorded 1 minute of this HD channel, but MP did not play the recording (it shows 1 second and then stops). Windows Media player was able to play video only (not sound).

So I changed the following:
    • TV codecs: used microsoft DTV-DVD instead of main concept avc/H264
    • disabled TV / postprocessing: ffdshow audio
    • disabled tv / tv client: audiodualmono switching

But no changes: log attached: 19:20: start watching TV; MP do nothing but freeze; 19:22: close MP using task manager.

So I try a new recording (now of the faulty channel): log attached: 19:30: start recording channel; cancel recording after 40 seconds; 19:32: play recording (MP shows 1 second and then stops playing); close MP

Again, Windows Media Player was able to play video only

I have just uploaded this recording via the FTP.

Anyway, I have just noticed that SAF is updated, so I am planning to update to SAF 5 (this will update ffdshow also) as soon as possible. I will inform here when updated.

Thanks again for your help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again mrspock

Thank you for the new sample and logs! :D
    I'm able to play the sample perfectly with MP 1.2.0b, Cyberlink PDVD 10 and FFDShow tryouts rev 3556 (September 2 2010) - see the attached screenshot. At the moment my opinion is:
    1. Something has been fixed in MP 1.2.0b that makes it work.
    2. You only need the right codec configuration and it would work.
    3. Some other configuration needs to be changed and it would work.

I think the most likely thing is option 2 or option 3. My settings are very simple:
    - preferred languages: (empty)
    - prefer AC3: yes
    - prefer audiotype over language: yes
    - enable audiodualmono: no
    - postprocessing: (none)
    - MPEG 2 video: Cyberlink PDVD 10
    - H.264 video: Cyberlink PDVD 10
    - MPEG / AC3 audio: AC3Filter
    - LATM AAC audio: Monogram AAC
    - DD+ audio: ffdshow
    - audio renderer: ffdshow

Perhaps you could try and copy my settings and see if they would work for you?
    I think one of the keys would be that I don't think you can use FFDShow as the audio codec *and* use it for post processing unless you enable multiple instances (see the attached screenshot). Attempting to use two instances could be the reason why the Mainconcept codec seems to be used instead of ffdshow. Also ensure there is no limitations on the software that can use FFDShow...

mm

PS: remember that the TV codec settings are used for all TS files. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
      Screenshot.jpg
      127.1 KB
    • ffdshow_config.jpg
      ffdshow_config.jpg
      47.3 KB

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi, mm1352000

2 problems, 2 good solutions: 100% success!
    You are great! :D

I have just updated SAF 5.02 (wich includes a new ffdshow version and codecs) and now I can watch, record and replay ALL channels.

Anyway, something should be repaired in MP to improve robustness. If there is an issue with any codec, MP should not freeze...

Best regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom