universal IR-remote (1 Viewer)

sirdandric

Portal Member
February 23, 2006
I have this universal remote (Philips SRU9600) with learning function and i want to use it for a HTPC with mediaportal.

Should i then buy a MCE remote with IR-receiver, and then 'learn' the option from that one? Or can i buy just a receiver and get it working? Or what would you suggest?

Thanks,

Zeko

Portal Member
December 14, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Very interesting question...I would also like to know ! (Have the Philips RU760).

However I heard that the MCE remote uses some kind of toggle command and I don't think the Philips RU760 support this.

giantjoebot

Portal Member
October 30, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Here is something that I found on a newegg review of the MCE remote

Pros: Works with Vista MCE and does a great job with response time and control. Lots of features and makes for a happy user!

Cons: The IR code in MCE reverses as you send it out, thus, there is a setting in the registry you have to disable if you want to teach your MCE remote to another remote. It's an alternating signal it sends out, which is why it is so fast and responsive.

Other Thoughts: I used the streamzap remote for years now and it was always kind of sluggish and sometimes it would repeat the same command dozens of times before it would stop. This remote works fantastic - well worth the money!

trosty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2004
    Zurich/Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Should i then buy a MCE remote with IR-receiver, and then 'learn' the option from that one? Or can i buy just a receiver and get it working? Or what would you suggest?

If you just buy a receiver you still need some remote to learn the commands to your universal remote.

I use a Harmony 885 with an MCE USB receiver. Ibought a MCE remote (a cheap one on ebay) from which I only use the ir receiver and let the universal remote simulate the MCE remote. Works perfect :D .

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    With and-81's marvelous 'MCE-replacement'-plug in, I believe all IR-remotes can be used, as long as they send a signal.

wertzui

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2005
    you can use nearly every universal remote.
    just buy an irc receiver / build one yourself
    then give the remote one code of any tv (or something else), you like.
    start winlirc and learn the commands. if not all buttons send ircodes, try a different code.
    download the winlirc pluginfor mp and map the buttons.

now you have your remote working with mp!

sirdandric

Portal Member
    February 23, 2006
    thanks!
    But also thinking about the MCE keyboard/mouse. So i guess i need the MCE IR-Receiver then? or can that also work the way you described?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom