Up and running in Canada...I <3 MediaPortal! (1 Viewer)

nekkidtruth

Portal Member
February 27, 2006
London, Ontario Canada
Earlier this week I was looking for some type of media center software for Windows. I've fiddled with NeroHome and Freevo (Under Linux of course.), but I wasn't satisfied with either of them. During my research I came across MediaPortal. I was quite skeptical at first, thinking it was going to be full of bugs and barely usable. Boy was I wrong.

Although I did come across some minor issues, everything appeared to work fine after the initial installation. I didn't have a TV Tuner card but needed something to organize the videos and music I download.

After about 2 days of playing with MediaPortal, I became antsy and was seriously considering purchasing a TV Tuner card as I have analog cable and wanted some of the benifits most digital cable providers offer (Such as pausing live tv, rewinding live tv etc.). So I "misplaced" some bills, and ran out to purchase a Hauppauge WinTV PVR150 MCE.

I slipped the card in and was up in running within MediaPortal with very little effort! (I initially ran into a few minor difficulties that I managed to resolve quickly.)

Everything is up and running great! I'm VERY happy! You guys have done an absolutely amazing job with this software and I most definitely look forward to future versions.

As a little tease (For anyone currently considering using this software), I offer a screenshot of my EPG complete with TV logo's that I've customized to match the guide!

Thanks again to all those who work on MediaPortal. Keep up the awesome work!

customchanlogos.jpg

P.S: I was able to find the resolution to all of my issues here in the forums. I salute the community for being such great support!

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
If you can "misplace" a few more bills, you may want to consider taking your PVR150 back and getting a PVR500 dual tuner (so you can watch and record at the same time).

I've been running MP for almost a year now and have seen numerous changes that have been implemented and improved and I agee that MP is the best as well! :)

P.S. Where did you get your channel icons from? I pulled mine from the Zap2It website but they're a little large and look out of place.

nekkidtruth

Portal Member
February 27, 2006
London, Ontario Canada
Khris said:
If you can "misplace" a few more bills, you may want to consider taking your PVR150 back and getting a PVR500 dual tuner (so you can watch and record at the same time).

I've been running MP for almost a year now and have seen numerous changes that have been implemented and improved and I agee that MP is the best as well! :)

P.S. Where did you get your channel icons from? I pulled mine from the Zap2It website but they're a little large and look out of place.

Unfortunately, the PVR500 wasn't available at the time. In fact, I may end up having to order it online. That may be something I do in the future. :)

As for the channel logo's, I just downloaded them from http://www.lyngsat-logo.com and editted them in Photoshop. For some of the logos I went to the individual station's site and just cropped etc. :)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
nekkidtruth said:
Unfortunately, the PVR500 wasn't available at the time. In fact, I may end up having to order it online. That may be something I do in the future. :)

As for the channel logo's, I just downloaded them from http://www.lyngsat-logo.com and editted them in Photoshop. For some of the logos I went to the individual station's site and just cropped etc. :)

I got my PVR500 from HERE, which is located in London.

As for the icons, I may just have to edit mine to be a bit smaller then. :)

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Why not zip up the logo's and share them with the community :wink:

DMAN

nekkidtruth

Portal Member
    February 27, 2006
    London, Ontario Canada
    dman_lfc said:
    Why not zip up the logo's and share them with the community :wink:

DMAN

I would love to do that. Unfortunately they're not all done. They'd actually really only be for Canadians with the same channels. Oh and they'll also only look good with BlueTwo. Maybe I'll work on some generic looking ones that would fit with any skin. Seeing as they're JPEG's, they're not really transparent. I've designed them specifically with the BlueTwo's guide graphics :(

I'm also fiddling with the idea of creating a skin myself so who knows :)

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Create an account on the web site and then upload tehm.

DMAN

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Perhaps a little more explanation past "Create an account on the web site then upload them" would benefit everyone as the only option I could find was to upload text or individual pictures. I was unaware you had to go into the DOWNLOADS section to find the "Upload File" link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom