Upgrading my Video Card (1 Viewer)

conguero23

Portal Member
December 9, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I currently have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 installed on my rig and I am thinking of upgrading it but I have a few questions to see if it is worth it. I am not a gamer and only want it to watch 720p, 1080p and Blu-ray iso's as well as regular PC use.

I am thinking of upgrading to a simple card the XFX Radeon HD 6670 Graphic CardXFX Radeon HD 6670 Graphic Card or something similar for less than $100 us. Will upgrading provide a better picture quality or speed up skipping etc in MP (seems to lag for a sec)? Live tv looks a little washed out on both MP and other software.

Thanks in advance,

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
well, late reply. You probably got an anwser already by buying the hw you liked. :)

For the purpose you describe, 1080p, the radeon should be more than sufficient. Coming from an AMD card the benefit seems pretty small.
The delay you describe will not be solved by replacing the gfx card.
The only thing a new gpu card will be better in is de-interlacing certain interlaced media sources. Like your TV signal is most likely interlaced. If you want to improve this image with interlacing a mid range HD 5xxx or up is adviced to use vector adaptive de-interlacing. Normal media files are in general not interlaced. Your gfx card does not have to do much to be able to produce the image. So the benefit for that is near to zero.
There are some settings available in ATI CCC quality settings to improve picture quality, but a digital source is often not improved much (read: at all) by those tricks. (flesh-tone, white-balanse, sharpening...etc.) I always disable them as they're useless IMO.

The washed out colors you write about could have something to do with:
1 - The RGB pixel format setting in AMD CCC. You have 4:4:4, 4:4:2, etc... If yuor TV doesnt support the FULL color range of 0-255 (which is likely), use RGB limited. Try a different setting.
2 - LAV codec settings. Go to MP configuration > Codecs. There click the small icon behind a LAV video codec. In the lower left area there is something written about outputting video to PC monitor, TV screen or leave it as is. (0-255 and 16-250) You can try playing with those settings as well.

Just remember to write down what the original settings were before you change them :)

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom