upgrading your old amp. with HDMI bitstreaming/LPCM capabilities. (1 Viewer)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you are (like me) looking for HDMI capabilities on an old receiver and at the same time refuse to part with your receiver then have a look at this.

http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html

It looks interesting.
    An external DAC that handles a HDMI LPCM/bitstreaming signal and outputs this to the analogue jacks.
    ofc. this only works if you amp. has external analogue inputs.

/gibman

justinbyoung

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2010
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have been hunting for exactly this for ages. It seemed like such a logical upgrade product but no-one seemed to want to make one.

Thanks.

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Good find!

As I understand it, if Windows determines that the output "device string" is not HCDP compliant, then it will not allow high bandwidth digital sound to be output over HDMI. The web-site says the device is HDCP compliant, so I would assume the optical audio outputs and possibly the analog audio outputs are downgraded by the device to CD quality.

FWIW, I use the PC's analog outputs for 5.1 into my old receiver, and it works. However there is some hum when the output level from the PC is too low.

Last edited:

justinbyoung

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2010
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It is worth noting that it won't decode Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio, but it will pass through analog LPCM 7.1. LPCM is as good as if not better than the other formats, but isn't available on all releases (not sure of the number). In an ideal world it would be possible to buy a decoder for the other HD audio formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom