UPnP support (Universal Plug and Play) (1 Viewer)

maxtrash

Portal Pro
November 27, 2004
Tilburg, Netherlands
streaming does work for mp3 both using your media server or intel's. Video-streaming isn't working with Intel's software either. Is that what you mean?

A

Anonymous

has there been any new development for this? It appeared that OB2 had created a working proof of concept but then he dissapeared. Hopefully someone has made some progress.

Gamester17

Portal Pro
May 12, 2004
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
frodo and Team-MediaPortal,

I just read the news about MediaPortal's upcoming TvEngine version 3.0 and it's separate front/back-end feature which I think sounds great!

I like to bump this and suggest you use the UPnP standard as the stream and control protocol between the front- and back-end, please see:
UPnP MediaServer and MediaRenderer (MediaServer = frontend/server, MediaRenderer = backend/client, audio/video streaming protocol)
UPnP RUI Client and Server (UPnP Remote User Interface protocol, to send control commands like record, schedule, play, pause, stop, etc.)

PS! There is a new free open source SDK for UPnP called Platinum (link) available which could make implementing UPnP into a bit simpler.

PPS! The author of the Platinum SDK, c0diq, has joined the XBMC project and already implemented a UPnP MediaRenderer client into XBMC.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Smirnuff! - Nice to see you back in the saddle again. Welcome back with open arms!

Gamester17

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2004
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Smirnuff said:
    Interesting! I'm a matter of days away from submitting code to the team that implements a lightweight and self-contained SSDP provider (Simple Service Discovery Protocol, the discovery protocol used by UPnP) so that MP instances can locate the new engine without needing to be told where to find it.
    Cool, ...any chance of you also convincing the MediaPortal-Team of going with UPnP all the way (so for streaming and control as well between the front- and backend)? By the way, UPnP didn't make it into XBMC earlier only because no-one could figure out how to work around the multicast issue (the Xbox doesn't support multicast), but c0diq (a.k.a. Sylvain) figured out how to workaround that by using broadcast instead, you can checkout his website here (link)

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Gamestr17

The PlatinumSDK sounds interesting.
    I downloaded, but could not see any documentation what it is, how to use it etc.

If it contains a upnp client & server then i would be very interested to integrate it into mp

also i was unable to compile the platinum sdk sources?
    its missing the following file:
    \upnp\PlatinumSDK\Neptune\Source\Core\NptFile.cpp
    Frodo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom