USB IRDA and MP / LIRC? (1 Viewer)

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Near Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
As the title suggests, I have an IR USB adapter for my HTPC. I'm trying to get it to work with WinLIRC, but it's just not happening. I can use the internal IR receiver, but that has a limited angle.

I don't think this device maps a virtual COM port, and I can't seem to get any settings in WinLIRC working.. does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get it to work? The device itself works, as I'm able to do IR transfers to my PC from my Nokia..

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Home Country
$10 down the drain. Fantastic!

Well I'm planning on doing some IrDA stuff in the future, so that's no problems. I'll just have to stick with the internal IR receiver, which WinLIRC likes, but MediaPortal seems to take over and stop it from working well XD

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Just a note in case you wanna get a better receiver than your integrated angle-limited one. We always recommend a Microsoft MCE receiver. You're trouble free with the supplied MCE remote, but in theory it's possible to use other remotes with it as well (e.g. Logitech Harmony or even virtually every remote with the "MCE replacement driver plugin". Although last one has side-effects on other apps in case you wanna use the remote with sth different than MP.)

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Just a note in case you wanna get a better receiver than your integrated angle-limited one. We always recommend a Microsoft MCE receiver. You're trouble free with the supplied MCE remote, but in theory it's possible to use other remotes with it as well (e.g. Logitech Harmony or even virtually every remote with the "MCE replacement driver plugin". Although last one has side-effects on other apps in case you wanna use the remote with sth different than MP.)

hmm this HTPC is costing far more than I intended. $20 for a new sound-card, $10 for an IRDA adapter, $15 for a PS2 -> USB adapter, $30 for Buzz! Controllers for quizzy fun.. What's another $53? XD

Just out of curiosity, how much do those remotes go for normally? I've seen one on eBay that is going for $53 AUD.. But the other listings are $100+

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
about 30-40 Euros here (European/German MCE remote & receiver)

Can become quite an expensive hobby we have, huh? :D

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Indeed it is. I could rent this baby out and make lots! Or perhaps a MP plugin that only lets MP work if you put a $2 coin in a specially built coin slot.

I'll have a look again at the MCE remote on eBay. I suppose it'd be good to have so I'm not forever getting frustrated when my remote doesn't work. I just hope the angle is reasonable both vertically and horizontally and it behaves as expected ;P

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Indeed it is. I could rent this baby out and make lots! Or perhaps a MP plugin that only lets MP work if you put a $2 coin in a specially built coin slot.

I'll have a look again at the MCE remote on eBay. I suppose it'd be good to have so I'm not forever getting frustrated when my remote doesn't work. I just hope the angle is reasonable both vertically and horizontally and it behaves as expected ;P
I don't even visually see my receiver from the couch. It has a very wide angle, even catches signals being reflected by the walls or furniture here. I can very strong recommend it, I wouldn't wanna change. Hint: Get a MCE 2005 one with coloured teletext buttons (sometimes referred to as "European MCE 2005" version). Some very useful (not only ttx-related) commands are mapped to them by default. Another advantage of those remotes is the excellent support in MediaPortal *ggg* (even an alternative plugin is available for those who need it), giving you a lot of customizing possiblities, in case you need them. But even the defaults should suit your needs. ;)

Damn, they should pay me... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom