Use exif information to rotate new pictures automatically (1 Viewer)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    It would be very, very handy if mp would use the exif information of the picture orientation to rotate newly added pictures automatically!

And the patch is already there.

Thanks to manula :lol:

as I have just detected, when i was about to post this request.

Hope it will be integrated in one of the next releases.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1186912&group_id=107397&atid=647927

tomtom

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Came across the patches section on sourceforge this morning and remembered this request.
    It is not even a month ago since I had this request, so it doesn´t really need a bump.

But as the patch is already there, maybe you could evaluate it and integrate it before the code it is based on is outdated.

By the way, there are about 40 open patches. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a day or two with the team to tidy them up.
    They are partly outdated, partly integrated, partly programmed by the team themselves, partly possibly helpful but not on par with 0.1.0.2.Just a suggestion.

tomtom

zswman

Portal Pro
    April 23, 2006
    Mountain View, CA USA
    Any chance of getting this feature added?

While not the same thing as using exif info for rotation, I think I note a bug in MP that might be solved by using it:

I use a program called "Thumber" to do some simple photo file renaming and rotation (when necessary) on photos from my digital camera.. Thumber uses JPEGTRAN to do lossless rotation on the file. EVERY OTHER application I have used recognizes that the photo has been rotated EXCEPT MP. When the photo appears in MP, both its thumbnail and full-size image appear as the original, unrotated file.

Can this be fixed? Thanks in advance for any help.

zswman

Portal Pro
    April 23, 2006
    Mountain View, CA USA
    Thanks for getting back on this - I should have updated my post, however. Turns out it was a user error and difference between how MP and WinXP sees the exif orientation field set by my Canon camera. When "auto rotate" is set w/in my camera, MP recognizes the rotation and the image displays properly. The problem came by using the third-party Thumber application and Windows XP - NEITHER software recognizes the rotation field, so I always rotated again before putting into MP. It looked right in Thumber and the preview pane in Explorer, but rotated in MP. Now I just leave auto rotate off, manually rotate w/in Thumber and the picture looks correct in all three views.

Doron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2006
    Nahariya
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I know only one EXIF rotation field, the one which works in Canon camera and in MP. I did notice that Windows Explorer does not rotate the pictures. I thought Windows Explorer just does not know to rotate pictures. I wonder if there is some other field which is readable by Windows Explorer but not by MP. Maybe this is not EXIF but something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom