Use MCE remote to wake from hibernate (1 Viewer)

Raveen

Portal Member
January 14, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm on win7 and I can use my MCE remote to send the PC to standby but not hibernate. That doesn't bother me too much because I'm happy to let powerscheduler turn the thing off for me. What I would like to do though is wake the PC from hibernate using the remote control.

I'm fairly sure this can be done but I'm not sure quite how so any help would be appreciated!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    This is kinda mobo dependant, IIRC. you need to
    a) Make sure your BIOS is set correctly (RTM :))
    b) Find out which USB ports that supports this feature (typically low nubered ports).

HTH :)

Raveen

Portal Member
    January 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks Spragleknas. having done some testing the remote can send the PC to standby and wake it from that state, but if MP sends the PC to hibernate then the remote cannot wake it.

The receiver flashes when I press the power on so the signal is being picked up and the receiver has power, but nothing happens.

Am I right in thinking that the wake from standby means that the BIOS and USB ports are correct, or do I need to check them more actively?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Then I would say hibernate kills remote, check BIOS for "allow all keypresses to resume", not just main power button on front of pc.

Some older motherboards require usb keyboard support enabled as well.

Raveen

Portal Member
    January 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Ok, it's been a while and I've fiddled a lot but still no joy.

Does the USB port need to be Hub 1 port 1? The remote can resume from standby where it is but not hibernate.

I've checked the BIOS and allowed resume from keypress and confirmed this with a ps/2 keyboard.

Any ideas?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Yep, your motherboard does not support fully hibernate, only standby, mm stated in one of his recent posts, that the power consumption was identical between the 2 for him, so if only standby works, then use that.

Edit: reason why, motherboard no longer passes the information along to wake hdd, you know usb is still powered as it blinks, and keyboard can wake, therefore it is safe to assume there is a issue with the motherboard itself no longer passing remote instructions, which work fine in standby, so something on mobo is shutting down to stop that message getting through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom