[Usability] Use play button to display timeline while playing (1 Viewer)

logifuse

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Sydney
Home Country
When playing video or TV (Video/Fullscreen or TV/Fullscreen) it would be good if pressing the play button (MS remote) again would bring up the timeline (in the same format as the pause OSD timeline) rather than using the info button (which has the extra info not required).

It would then timeout (as the pause OSD does), or pressing play again would remove it from the screen.

The situation being if you're watching something & with as little as possible interruption you want to see how long there is to go, you could press play, see & press play again & you're done. With the info button, you either press info & then wait for timeout (which can be reduced, but that's useless if you actually want the info screen in another situation), or press info again, which brings up the aspect ratio, etc Actions menu & then info again to remove it.

I tried some different button mapping options on the remote, but couldn't seem to get it right.

Thanks.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I imagine this is going to be tricky/impossible to implement as the Play button needs to be able to resume play when rewinding/ffwding and I don't think there's any way for MP to tell whether you're in rewind/ffwd or normal play. So if Play was made to bring up the OSD, there'd be no way to use it to get out of rewind/ffwd.

I think you can use remote config to set Info to open/close the OSD and not open the context menu (and assign another button to open the context menu if you need it). By default, Info opens the OSD when in fullscreen playback and when in the OSD opens the context menu. I don't think there's an Action to open the minimal/pause OSD currently though, so perhaps if that was available as an Action it would be a reasonable compromise.

logifuse

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Sydney
Home Country
I see what you mean - it can't differentiate between the various things that could be on the OSD at the time.

Even if the minimal OSD (a good description of it) could be mapped to another button, that would be good. Just some way to go push (glance at remaining time) push would be excellent.

I notice that when you bring up the OSD (the info overlay) via the keyboard (Y) & then press Y again, it closes rather than changing to the actions menu. A compromise would be to map that to a button I suppose, but in some skins (maybe just Avalon), the full info overlay is the default (so you have the timeline, plus the episode/movie description screen above it), so it wouldn't really work for that. I know there are requests in Avalon to change the info function to be inline with the default skin (i.e. press info & get the timeline plus filename & mediainfo, then press the up arrow for the description), so that combined with mapping Y might be the ticket.

A timeline only minimal OSD would be nice though.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I can't take credit for the term "minimal OSD", that's what it's called in StreamedMP skin and is an option to choose having a less-cluttered OSD displayed when pausing. I don't know if any other skins implement a similar feature, but if there was an Action "Show Minimal OSD" then it could be associated with a key in remote config and brought up other than just when pausing.

In my remote config, Info has two functions Fullscreen -> Action Show OSD and No Condition -> Action Context Menu. As a workaround, if you change the latter to Action Show OSD as well, then Info will toggle the OSD, but then you'll need to map No Condition - > Action Context Menu to another button (and make sure it doesn't have any conflicting actions associated with Windows where you need to open the Context Menu). Or you could leave the Info button as it as and map Fullscreen and No Condition to Action Show OSD on another button and use that button to toggle the OSD.

logifuse

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Sydney
Home Country
Avalons pause OSD is minimal, but then they also throw in a big semi transparent box with a pause symbol in it.

Coincidently, immediately after I posted, I went & had a look at the remote mapping for the info button & added a condition for OSD with an action of Show OSD (counter-intuitively, as that will turn off the OSD if it's on), & moved it above No Condition.

As I don't use the action menu, that's perfect for me, however, I soon discovered the the TV OSD is different again, so I added a condition for that above No Condition too (see attached).

That way the info button is unaffected in all other circumstances & I simply skip the action menu which I don't need.

If Avalon gets rid of the automatic description window, that will do me.

Attachments

• infobutton.JPG
    infobutton.JPG
    17.9 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom