Use Video capture card as input to MP (1 Viewer)

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for the suggestion - this was new to me.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work as I had hoped. Got everything configured - tight up to the point of specifying the target file to be executed. It seems this has to be a .exe whereas I really need to use a .bat file to start VLC with a parameter to select the required input source (i.e. the USB Video device provided by the capture card). Specifying the .bat file just doesn't work.

The Launcher function in MP2 doesn't have this limitation as it is happy to execute as .bat file.

I will need to explore VLC in more depth to see if the required parameters can be supplied as arguments which it looks as though MultiShortcut can support.

If anyone can offer ideas.........

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    aren't you able to specifiy command line parameters?
    if so you can call vlc in that plugin and specify params?
    If the batchfile is more complex, you can execute cmd.exe /c<batchfile>

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    If the batchfile is more complex, you can execute cmd.exe /c<batchfile>
    @wjw : I would have expected the above to work, but getting the double-quotes correct can be a bit of a challenge (so don't give up straight away). However, for an alternative...

My home network went through a phase where the HTPC would not recognise the network, and so MP could not see any of the media on other devices in the network. I solved this by invoking my "restart_network.bat" from the left side menu on MP's "Home" panel. This requires modifying the xml file for the "Home" panel. I added this definition to the left side menu:

Code:
    <control>
      <description>External application</description>
      <type>button</type>
      <id>19</id>
      <application>C:\Users\Iceman\Desktop\Restart Network.lnk</application>
      <arguments></arguments>
      <label>Restart network</label>
      <onup>18</onup>
      <ondown>16</ondown>
      <onleft>130</onleft>
      <onright>130</onright>
    </control>

This actually invokes a shortcut on the desktop, but the shortcut invokes the BAT file. The advantage of invoking a shortcut is that you can specify that it is to run minimised or maximised or in a normal window. Invoking the BAT file directly ought to work (but I have not tried it). The ids in the xml above are specific to my "Home" panel -- you should change them to whatever is appropriate for your skin. This is what the result looks like:

basic_home_with_side_menu.jpg

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help and comments. It turns out that putting the required parameters into MultiShortCut as arguments to pass to VLC works perfectly!

So now I have (with one minor issue left to solve) exactly what I wanted to achieve and I now have access to the full range of streaming services available on the FireTV stick from within MP1 and fully controlled by the FireTV controller once VLC has been started.

The minor issue is only to work out how to close VLC and return to MP, but I can't sort this until I set this all up on my main HTPC - which is the only one with a remote. All my testing has been done with a keyboard which is not really a viable solution for real life usage.

A question for Doskabouter if I may - any idea when you might be able to deliver a working version of the OnLineVideos function to access Amazon Prime? I ask because although my solution will now work I would still prefer to have the ability completely contained within MP as my way requires 2 more devices and cables installed in the lounge behind the TV and HTPC - and there's already too much stuff there!

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

A question for Doskabouter if I may - any idea when you might be able to deliver a working version of the OnLineVideos function to access Amazon Prime? I ask because although my solution will now work I would still prefer to have the ability completely contained within MP as my way requires 2 more devices and cables installed in the lounge behind the TV and HTPC - and there's already too much stuff there!
    Still working on it, although a bit slowly.
    Only one major thing I need to add: reliably sending keypresses to the webview2 (need that for netflix's skip 15sec. etc)
    after that it's time for testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom