Use WebService between Server and Client (1 Viewer)

drfonz

Portal Member
October 23, 2006
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I implemented exactly what you guys described a few weeks ago, as I'm currently working on a project that will use TVEngine3 as the server, and a non-PC device as a client, and the easiest way to cope with this was using Web Services. Both XML and Binary XML are supported.

I'm currently getting some of our guys to implement the client side (still recruiting developers for this as well if you guys are in need of a job!) and so we still haven't decided whether the Web Service will be made available as open source or not, as this is a commercial prototype after all.

But I just wanted you guys to know that what you suggest is most definitely possible and it has in fact already been implemented somewhere :)

Cheers!
AL

richbayliss

Portal Member
January 22, 2007
Tamworth, Staffs
Home Country
Al, Great Stuff :D

Of course I think you should keep it OpenSource - but we all have to pay the bills etc.

Out of interest though, did you use the Webservices hosted from within your .Net app OR via IIS?

drfonz

Portal Member
October 23, 2006
Leeds
Home Country
It's currently hosted on a Windows Vista box running IIS, but there is no reason why this couldn't be any other Web Server or indeed an embedded server application, that's just an implementation detail :)

Currently it's being used for a proof-of-principle on a potential product, and so it's too early to decide whether we're going to open-source it or not, but certainly I'm happy to give pointers to people on how we did things here.

To be honest, I don't have MP at home because my wife won't tolerate a PC under the TV, but once our product is done, things might change :) And so I appreciate and admire Team Media Portal very much and I'm happy to help if/when time allows :)

EDIT: I wasn't kidding about the job offer! If any developer out there wants a full time job (and he/she is happy to relocate to Leeds/Bradford area in the UK), send me a PM :)

Cheers!
AL

richbayliss

Portal Member
January 22, 2007
Tamworth, Staffs
Home Country
Sounds good.

Luckly my girlfriend is less bothered about the PC, and more worried about recording "Waking the Dead" when we are out swimming :)

Maybe OpenSource your TVserver plugin and closed source your SetTop box. At least that way you get help from users on the server side - and some people might port it to other MediaServers - WIN/WIN situation :D

I am fully employed currently, and just taken my mortgage out - so I can't apply for the job, even though it sounds damn cool!!

richbayliss

Portal Member
January 22, 2007
Tamworth, Staffs
Home Country
HAHA - I just took it as read from your first post!

I think that is obviously the way to go - since having a clunking great PC sat by your TV isn't everyones idea of fun (obv we all love the PC ;))

Good on you for using some FOSS to backend your project though - it's good to see it can be used commercially whilst still keeping its community origins.

drfonz

Portal Member
October 23, 2006
Leeds
Home Country
I'm a stern defender of FOSS, so I try and sneak it in whenever I can in my projects. It's the guys higher up I have to convince, although I guess with time, when you get high up yourself, it's a bit easier to do :)

And re-reading my first post, I said "non-PC client device", this could be a kettle, for all you know ;)

gljubojevic

Portal Member
September 25, 2006
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
Remoting ?

Hi !

Instead of web services why not use remoting ?
No need for IIS, all commads can be implemented as server interface ...

Goran

chrispi

Portal Pro
May 3, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi !

Instead of web services why not use remoting ?
No need for IIS, all commads can be implemented as server interface ...

Remoting is replaced by "Indigo" alias "Windows Communication Foundation" in the .NET Framework 3.0. It combines the advantages of Remoting and Web Services and does not require IIS (if you want so).

Christoph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom