[Finished] User Profiles in MP2 (1 Viewer)

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Recently I have moved my living room front end over to XBMC for one main reason. However, I love MP and really want to come back to using that on my main machine at some point in the future.

The feature I like about XBMC is the profiles. It allows me to have a whole area for the kids where live TV is disabled and only some movies and tv shows are available. Also settings are locked down, they have nice skin customizations etc.

With MP I used to use the parental controls etc but profiles gives more flexibility.

Is profiles something that might be on the MP2 roadmap at some point?

Thanks in advance.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is definitely on the road map since the early days of MP2 many years ago, but there has not been much progress, yet because of the limited development resources. We focused to implement the basic media management and playback features first.

(The following are mainly development related information)
    However, a basic user management is already implemented in the core: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/8_Contribute/Development/3_Concepts/User_Management
    This already allows storing "user" specific meta data for media items, i.e. the resume time when stopping a movie.
    Besides links to the source code documentation the wiki page lists also the following 3 points as todo tasks.

To share the same user on different systems, a kind of user management needs to be implemented:
    • Creating users
    • Setting user properties (needs to be defined), can be used for password store
    • Creating a login model to set the current user
    So in case anyone is interested in working on this topic, should get in contact with us.

lulsam

Portal Pro
    December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Uh ho, in a true client - server environment like MePo 2 will provide, user profiles or at least some kind of user management seems to me a must for all of us that have children at home. Hability to select especific shares / directories, and the same for TV channels. ;-)

On the other hand I am impressed for the new features, and I have just checked that the stable release is scheduled for Dec 2014. A lot of us are willing to move to MePo 2. Imressive work!!!

Kind regards guys

Last edited:

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Im also in agreement with Iulsam. Today most people require them for easier management of watched status mainly for multiple user watching shows all over the household. I dont want to be forced to always watch my tvshows on a certain machine because the other is configured to my wifes trakt account to monitor her watched status. Profile have always been a issue in every platform i have tried...XBMC Profiles work but switching users crashes the program often. MP1, besides MyFilm,MyAnime3, there is no possibility to get profiles for TV shows. MediaBrowser 2 lacked this and introduced it in MB3 and it works very well. Plex introduced this not so long ago as well.

I think this is one of the main reasons for me to look forward to MP2. As of right now i use Mediabrowser 3 with the MP adding to get profile capability and for the most part it works well but it is lacking certain features and doesnt utilize any of the views MP skins offer and is also limited to the titan skin. I love MP tv capabilities over other solutions and i know MP2 will do that better then MP1 which is why i switched from XBMC to MP (MediaBrowser 3 Classic in WMC is just to painful to use). I will for sure switch to MP2 if profiles are implemented but without them i might just have to stick with MP1 and MB3 server as a backend (or swicth back to Media Browser 3 Theater onces it matures)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 already offers a UserProfile service: it allows to create users, save custom attributes to this profile and can save user-and-MediaItem-specific information into the central MP2 DB (used to store playback resume positions).

The UserProfileService always gives you an UserProfile: it is currently created for each Client, so for now "Client == User". There exists a "Login" project, which does not work yet, but it could be improved to allow: creation of UserProfiles, saving some information (do we need passwords?) and to switch current user.

In near future, the MediaLibrary will be able to hold user-specific MediaItemAspects (i.e. "is watched"), which then could be used to filter MediaItems (i.e.: show only non-watched Episodes).

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    MP2 already offers a UserProfile service: it allows to create users, save custom attributes to this profile and can save user-and-MediaItem-specific information into the central MP2 DB (used to store playback resume positions).

The UserProfileService always gives you an UserProfile: it is currently created for each Client, so for now "Client == User". There exists a "Login" project, which does not work yet, but it could be improved to allow: creation of UserProfiles, saving some information (do we need passwords?) and to switch current user.

In near future, the MediaLibrary will be able to hold user-specific MediaItemAspects (i.e. "is watched"), which then could be used to filter MediaItems (i.e.: show only non-watched Episodes).

Thanks for the reply morph, cant wait to try this out in beta :)

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    (do we need passwords?)

I'd say yes but make them optional. Some people will want profiles for security reasons, other people may trust every device on the network and simply want a way of segregating user specific data.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    Having said "security reasons" it's worthy pointing out a password on a user profile will only protect access to the metadata and not the files themselves.

lulsam

Portal Pro
    December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

So is it already available in MePo 2 the ability to select which directories (network shares) and channels are allowed to view in a specific device / MePo client? Of course the goal has to be permissions basd in the user profile, but if this has already been implemented this is very good news!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom