using external SPDIF sound source as input for MP (1 Viewer)

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
Sorry that I post my problem again but nobody answered and maybe my formulation was not good ...

Can I use the spdif (optical) output from my settop box, put it into the spdif input of my sound card and then "mix" it in MP with the video signal?

So far I use the analog sound which comes through the SCART output and put it into the "line in" of my WinTV PVR 150.

thanks+regards
WeWe

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    wewe said:
    Can I use the spdif (optical) output from my settop box, put it into the spdif input of my sound card and then "mix" it in MP with the video signal?
    I very much doubt that your sound card has an SPDIF INPUT - the SPDIF connector on the sound card is usually an OUTPUT to feed the digital audio to an external amplifier for decoding.

What type of sound card do you have?

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will buy a soundcard like TERRATEC Aureon5.1 which has an optical spdif in. That is the reason why I ask here - I want to know if it works before i buy ...

Can I use the spdif input in MP?

thanks+regards
    WeWe

niekh

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    I very much doubt that your sound card has an SPDIF INPUT - the SPDIF connector on the sound card is usually an OUTPUT to feed the digital audio to an external amplifier for decoding.

I even have a motherboard with both SPDIF in and out so they do exist! I'm only using the SPDIF out though... I also have a PVR-150 where I hook up my STB's audio out into the 150's Line-in.

This is not an answer to the original poster's question but rather a gotcha that one should be aware of...

The problem with the PVR is that it buffers approximately 2(?) seconds worth of video/audio before passing it on which would result in unsynched video/audio using the proposed connection unless something was done about it. I've read somewhere that there is a Live TV mode that bypasses the buffering but I don't know if it can be used for all purposes (recording, timeshifting).

I don't think there should be any problems using the SPDIF in as an audio source since the driver would present it to Windows as a general audio-in device.

If you can synchronise audio/video in MP (or somewhere else) is another question though, which I've no clue about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom