Using Kodi to play MP recordings - info from xml files not displayed (1 Viewer)

Remote Possibility

Portal Member
March 9, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm running MP2 on my PC and Kodi 19 with the MP client on my Amazon Fire TV box, and this works fine for playing anything from the local recording folder on the PC.

My problem is that I also have a large archive of recordings on a NAS drive, which must be accessed through Kodi's usual file browser rather than the MP client, and in this case Kodi doesn't display the episode info from the xml files that MP generates along with the recordings.

Has anyone else with a similar set up come across this and found a solution? I've fiddled with the settings and Googled to no avail.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess this is better a question for the Kodi forum. You can also find the needed xml file structure in the Kodi page for recordings and might see, if there is an mismatch with your current file structure. Basically MP2 is compatible with Kodi, but Kodi changed here frequently I think.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Kodi gets such information from the used PVR addon only. For video you need an ".nfo" file, that is different to the .xml file provided by the MediaPortal TV engine. Other TV engines like DVB-Viewer, TVMosaic, TVheadend,... are using completely different types of files to store the information aside the recorded video file. For this it is not useful, probably not even possible, to fetch all the different kinds of data directly by Kodi as normally the used TV engine does this.
    Theoretically you can convert some of the data from the xml to a compatible .nfo. But I don't know if there is any software that can do this automatically. In my opinion you have three choices. First, keep everything as it is and miss the metadata. Second, you add the folder on your NAS as a recording folder to MP2 and import all recordings into the MP 2 server and for this also as recordings visible in Kodi. Third and best opinion imho, is to add the recordings on NAS as movies and series to the MP2 and Kodi databases. Then online information is downloaded and you have the same amount of data as with "regular" movies. This is by far the best way, especially if you use a preparing tool like TMM or Media-Buddy to only have to do this work once. This is how I'll do with all the recordings I've done over the many years I'm using HTPC now.

Personally I add the recordings that are not a movie or a series episode as "other" videos to the MP2/Kodi database. My tool Media-Buddy can add fanart and .nfo file with metadata to such videos too. in the "metadata correction" module you even can add your own plot and similar data, that you e.G. can copy and paste from the .xml file.
    But you also can separate them and add those "not movies or series" recordings to the MP2 TV engine.

Remote Possibility

Portal Member
    March 9, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to do a bit of work then!

Of course the other option is to have a mini PC connected to the TV and use MP2 on that instead of via Kodi. Something for the future perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom