Using MediaPortal as a DLNA/UPnP AV network media player? (1 Viewer)

davidm_uk

Portal Member
October 11, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm very new to MediaPortal (I installed it yesterday on an ageing Shuttle, and I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far), so apologies if this is a frequently-asked question!

It is possible (perhaps through the use of a plugin) to use MediaPortal to access media shared using DLNA/UPnP media servers?

Thanks,

David

davidm_uk

Portal Member
October 11, 2009
Home Country
Thanks, Gixxer. I searched for DLNA but not UPnP! :)

However, I don't think this is quite what I'm after: if I understand correctly, this plugin makes TVServer content available to view from UPnP decides (e.g. PS3). What I'm after is a plugin that allows other UPnP server content to be viewed from within the MediaPortal client GUI.

I guess I'll have to investigate the development resources...

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks, Gixxer. I searched for DLNA but not UPnP! :)

However, I don't think this is quite what I'm after: if I understand correctly, this plugin makes TVServer content available to view from UPnP decides (e.g. PS3). What I'm after is a plugin that allows other UPnP server content to be viewed from within the MediaPortal client GUI.

I guess I'll have to investigate the development resources...
    HI,
    what ist you want to do exactly?
    Parse and play contents of MP? Or Control MP by an other UPNP-Client to play music for example?

matrix866

Portal Member
    March 29, 2009
    I would like MediaPortal to act as receiver of Photo and Video played from my nokia N82.

On my Nokia if I open the gallery i can click option on a foto (or video) and click play throgh my network. If I click it I have to select first my Wi-Fi and then the ipotetic player. In this case Mediaportal.

Can this be done???

alank

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2006
    NJ
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sounds like what you want to be able to do is go out, take pictures/videos with your phone, walk in the door and immediately be able to pull them up on MP without having to download them from the phone. Interesting idea. Unfortunately I haven't heard of anyone doing this. Hope you get someone else who can help.

matrix866

Portal Member
    March 29, 2009
    Sounds like what you want to be able to do is go out, take pictures/videos with your phone, walk in the door and immediately be able to pull them up on MP without having to download them from the phone. Interesting idea. Unfortunately I haven't heard of anyone doing this. Hope you get someone else who can help.

Yes, like an HDMI output wireless! I've understood that it' can be done if you have a ps3 to act as a player for you phone's video and photo...why can't a PC software do this?

cabsandy

November 17, 2010
    Home Country
    I'm very new to MediaPortal (I installed it yesterday on an ageing Shuttle, and I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far), so apologies if this is a frequently-asked question!

It is possible (perhaps through the use of a plugin) to use MediaPortal to access media shared using DLNA/UPnP media servers?

Thanks,

David

I'm trying to set up the same thing-I have a few TV's that are natively DNLA equpped (Samsungs and Sony). There is no UPnP nor DNLA component to MP that I can see but what I'm doing is running either PS3 server ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code or Servio Serviio DLNA media server .These apps then access the the folders on the HTPC that contain the recorded programs.
    I've only started this project in the past few days but seems to work pretty well-we have a few Humax PVR's in the house currently and the wife is complaining that they are getting worse at missing programmes.
    Once I get it all done, I'll be putting the whole thing up on my blog

cheers

cabs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom