using onboard graphics and graphics cards for different applications (1 Viewer)

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
I've got HDMI out on my Asus motherboard, which I would like to use with MP as my main output for my videos, as it combines both video and audio. I also have an Asus EN8500GT Silent Magic 512MB PCIE graphics card, which I use for gaming.

My question is this - can I have my HDMI running for MP to use for video output AND the EN8500GT running? I plan on outputing into a Marantz SR5002 XM Ready Surround Sound Receiver, using HDMI to HDMI for Video from the motherboard, and DVI to HDMI from the graphics card. For gaming, audio would be provided via the Optical Audio Out on the motherboard into the Marantz. The Marantz then has feeds into the Sharp Aquos LCD.

I have a few other options in how it all strings together, but is what I am trying to acheive feasible? I had it in mind that as soon as you install a graphics card, any onboard graphics, such as the one that outputs into HDMI would be disabled.

Any thoughts please? :D

Flappers

February 11, 2008
I don't know if that will work. But maybe my thought can help anyhow:

- The display which is meant to show TV or Video on your LCD in the Livingroom should always be the primary display (regardless if you use a high end graphics card in clone mode)
- you should use a good graphicscard for that, best with hardware accelaration (HDTV, h.264 avc videos)
- i don't think that a media pc should be used for any other things than beeing a media pc :D
- all setup and installation should be done with as much wisdom as possible
- games may mess up system config (copyprotection schemes, multiplayer things etc.)
- for audio/video i've got best results with hdmi/dvi for the video and spdif for the audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom