Using RC6 - surely this should be easy? (1 Viewer)

Bunkermentality

Portal Member
October 31, 2017
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have completed the installation of MP2 and sorted our my config issues (with a little assistance from the forum - thanks) and I now have a very happy setup. Then I remembered that my (ageing) HTPC has an IR port on the front. Sure enough I spotted it, and found my RC6 (model RC118) handset. I haven't used this as I have a wireless Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard and mouse combo and this works just fine, including controlling MP2.

But the MP2 interface feels like a proper TV and the ability to control it using a remote control is an attractive option. But I can't get it to work at all. I turned it on an expected it to work. Am I being naive? So to troubleshoot I replaced the batteries. OK. Then I checked the BIOS to see if the device existed and was activated. OK. Then I checked the device manager. (See attached screenshot.) Here I can see a Nuvoton SID CIR Device driver and some Microsoft eHome keyboard entries. This suggests that Win10 recognises the device. Device drivers are up-to-date.

But it doesn't work. This feels like a Win10/PC issue rather than MP2 but I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Internet searches reveal lots of discussions on this subject but no solutions.

Are there any other MP2 users who have RC6 working OK who can give an insight?

Thanks Paul
PS. Maybe it is broken?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    96.4 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Paul,

RC6 receivers and the respective MCE-compatible remotes are working out of the box in MP2. Therefore I would rather suspect that either the receiver or the remote is broken. You could check if the remote is actually sending IR signals by using a digital camera (or your mobile phone) to video-picture the IR-diode on the top of the remote while pressing a key. You should then be able to see the diode flashing.

If the remote is working, then you can check the general Windows functionality: open an editor, type a few characters of text and then press the arrow-left button on the remote. The cursor should move back. If it doesn't then the IR receiver is not correctly working. This could both be a hardware problem as well as something in Windows/BIOS settings.

Bunkermentality

Portal Member
    October 31, 2017
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the message. I did the tests you suggest. I think its either a hardware or Windows fault as well :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom