[Remote] Using remote should give MP focus (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Started on: 15-11-2011
last update: 15-11-2011

Summary: When it receives a command from the remote, MP should take focus as otherwise it's very unresponsive.

Area: Remote

Description: I use MP on a dual-screen PC (one screen is my monitor, the other my TV). When I leave my PC to go and watch TV, I sit down in front of the TV and use the remote to control MP and find that it's very slow/jerky. I then have to get up and use my mouse to click somewhere on the MP screen to give it focus.

I've found that after starting LiveTV, MP gets focus but often I might want to browse through the guide, my recordings or films for a while, so I think that MP should get focus as soon as it receives a command from my remote, or at least this should be an option.

I found there's a Gain Focus setting that can be ticked for every action associated with a button in Remote config, but it's quite tedious to go and tick this for the multiple actions that can be associated with each button and besides, this doesn't seem to work when media (e.g. TV) is playing anyway (I can tell this from the stats as my render time rises a lot when MP loses focus), so it would be a lot simpler to just have an overall "Gain focus when remote is used" checkbox.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I would say this is down to M$, even MCE remote\keyboard switches to focused program, until you press the green button, yes macros can work around this, but then that is quite unique scenario, as you are using MP as a application, rather than what it was primarily designed for.

MP2 may meet your needs more natively, as it will be far more flexible than MP1.

I would even request you defer from posting about dual screen implementation, this has been answered many times already.

Thanks

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Oh come on, there's even a plugin designed for dual-screen (MPDisplay2) so it's a bit much to ask me to not talk about dual-screen.

And generally dual-screen is working fine for me. I don't know what you mean by "this" has been answered many times already. Yes, we've discussed some issues I've had with dual screen. What's that got to do with my suggestion to make the "Gain focus" option easier to set than doing it for every single action for every single key, or the issue of why it works in the GUI but not when media is playing?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I'm also wondering what the "Gain Focus" tickbox is for if not to give MP focus if another application has it. If MP's the only thing running (which is what you seem to suggest it was primarily designed for), then surely there's no need for a "Gain Focus" option is there?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Bump. Can anyone explain what the Gain Focus settings are for and why they don't work when media is playing and whether we could have an overall "Gain Focus when remote used" setting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom