Very Happy to be coming back to Mediaportal (+ MediaBrowser 3) (1 Viewer)

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've been taking a break from MP and using XBMC for the last 6 months with TV Server but came back to MP tonight and it feels great.

The things I really missed were:

1. Remote working out the box
    2. Great looking default skin
    3. ATI drivers compatibility
    4. Picture Quality
    5. OV Plugin
    6. The whole of the MP PVR section
    7. MPExtended
    8. The forum...

The things I really liked about XBMC were the profiles, but I've just installed MB3 yesterday and the MP plugin and it's fantastic. Allowing the different user accounts is great (even better than XBMC native solution I think since you are not actually logging on and off as a different user).

And it means I can set up new clients in no time at all.

And being able to pause on one device and resume on another is great!!!

(In fact MB3 is so good it does make me wonder whether even building a native media solution into MP2 is not needed and they should just rely on plugins for that functionality but that's another thread...)

So just a big thank you to the whole MP team + the MB3 team.

M

mjmapi

You're not the first, to know the best is to try the rest,

MB3 you say, i did not even know the was such a plugin for MP, thanks for the headup...going to download section

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    make me wonder whether even building a native media solution into MP2 is not needed
    MB3 server is nice, no doubt. But it has its limitations. The biggest of all, it's really slow and eats enormous amount of CPU. And it did not have LiveTV feature integrated. If you like to run MB3server and want it fast responding you need a powerful CPU. For a machine which is often running 24/7 this is not a good thing. On a typical MediaPortal server with low power consuming CPU like Atom or other mobile CPU the MB3 server nearly is unusable... I have a MB3 server "running" on a Celeron 847 system that has not even a tiny issue running MP1 TV Server, MySQL Server, MP2 Server, MP2 Client, MPExtended,... But the MB3 server is way to much for it. An Import of 500 Videos lasts more than 5 hours...

The MP2 Server is performing a hundred times better (and recently we're working to improve performance even more). It still don't have as much features as MB3 server but this only is a matter of time....

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

I have no doubt that they both have strengths and weaknesses and don't get me wrong I am really looking forward to MP2 landing and its great to hear that you have plans for adding in additional features,

I suppose it's just a question of whether the native solution will ever catch up given that MB3 already has native apps for all devices and also supports chromecast, transcoding support, profiles (which I see as crucial for a HTPC), disc art, eBooks etc and I assume that MB3 are on a pretty aggressive dev path as well. They certainly seem to be with the XBMC plugin arriving as well.

Once a MB3 plugin is released for MP2 then it will certainly be a challenge to keep up with their feature set. In many ways I suspect it will be like the MP1 Videos Section vs. Moving Pictures vs. My Films.

Also, the fact that I can just use MB3 through the web browser without installing a client is also great. I have no doubt they will add live tv soon - they already have MCE and NextPVR plugins.

Import times don't worry me too much as this is normally a one time hit for the first import - mine was super quick but I download artwork using ember - and then store the artwork and xml locally so next time it is instant

I don't have the experience of the low power server as I am running quite a few tv cards to multiple clients so have a fairly powerful server.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom