Very noob q? (2 Viewers)

oggy76

March 4, 2009
Hi Guys,

After a bit of help if possible and I am a complete techophobe!

I currently connect my home pc to my tv downstairs via my xbox 360 and use windows media centre. I am absolutely fed up with WMC and after some research looking for an alternative stumbled across mediaportal.

Currently my home pc connects wirelesly to my router and my xbox 360 connects to my router via an ethernet cable.

The question I have is...is there anyway of using my xbox 360 to use media portel on my TV? If not is there any other way of connecting my pc which is upstairs in an office to my tv downstairs so I can watch my movies and music stored on my hard drive?

:)sorry: if this has been asked before somewhere).

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-talk-233/xbmc-python-script-36590/

I think you would need XBMC (for videos) and MP TV Server (For Live TV) to get the full functionality on an XBox, I'm not sure how it works but presumable MP TVserver is integrated via these python scripts so you would be using XBMC as the server and your XBox as the client, the TV Server would just provide TV to XBMC.

Maybe ask someone in this thread?

John

oggy76

March 4, 2009
    thanks for the responce guys.

Just to clarify I am not worried about the tv function at all as I already have sky hd on the tv downstairs. I just simply want to use media portal to stream my movie, music and photo's onto my tv which is downstairs and am not sure of the best way to do it?

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've been reading the above thread, it appears still to be in development, there is a test version on the last page. You could try XBMC if all you want is video/music etc.

J

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    original xbox will do this fine because u can run xbmc on it. there's a few posts around about running linux on the 360 but I havent seen anything about a 'mainstream' distro like you can get for some other consoles. (doesnt mean it cant be done though!)

you can probably pick up an xbox 1 for about $50 which would be fine for SD video (1 and 2 cd xvid dvdrips etc ) but wont play high def (720p/1080p/1080i).

To do this you need an xbox and a copy of mechassault. You then use your pc with your xbox to 'soft mod' it. From there you can whack xbmc onto it. There's about a million guides on the net about how to do this. Its not difficult.

A second option would be to pick up a 2 or 3 ghz pentium 4 with 1gb ram and just whack xp and xbmc on it (or MP if you prefer). Can probably be done for not much over $100. MCE remote and ir receiver is about $10-20. Fine for SD but to do 720p/1080p/1080i would need beefier hardware.

XBMC | Installing/Running/Updating/Uninstalling XBMC

Would be interested to know how u get on w the 360. This question comes up with some regularity. Let us know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom