Video Artifacts - Green Blotches etc (1 Viewer)

elvis56

Portal Pro
January 5, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
I was wonodering if this is a common thing for Plasma TVs.

To see (especially noticable) when watching B&W film or generally over a solid dark colour, these blotches of Green patches pop up around the screen. I have an ATI HD3450 video card and an LG Plasma TV. Using the Power DVD codec. Seems that for the most part, Larger files like HD rips are quite nice. It seems to be most noticable on my 400 mb avi TV shows I have been watching. Anything one can do to reduce these artifacts (green blotches) ? I have tried ATI Registry Tweaks and played with the internal settings myself but nothing really works. Actually the picture Seems to be ok IF I use Windows media Player (or not as bad) :confused: but I prefer to use MediaPortal :)

Anyone have experiences like this?

thanks kindly :)

zanlation

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Home Country
I am experiencing similar problems with mkv files. I also have a HD3450 card and am using the PowerDVD 9 video codec. I switched to MPC, but that gave worse results.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Please check if you have installed Asus Splendid. If so, try uninstalling.

zanlation: System specs in "My system", please :)

zanlation

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    I solved this by updating my video card drivers to 9.3. So far I have no more green blotches. I also changed to PowerDVD 9 video codecs (from v8).

Dannydeman

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2008
    I have artifacts every 10seconds or so with 9.3, if I were you I would go with 9.1, else go for 8.9 (which is the best for DXVA according to many people)

elvis56

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Seems to be mostly with videos that are xvid that I get a poorer picture quality. Almost as if sometimes there is an over saturation of the picture. Hard to explain but it's like you see waves of colour over someone's dark black jacket (green or purple) or blotches on a person's skin (as if over saturated). I have SAF installed but I am using PowerDVD9 codec and Divx codec for h.264 because MPC doesn't like all of my MKV files while Divx seems to play them all. I didn't have ASUS Splendid as far as I can tell but I did have something called Gamer OSD and Asus Smart Doctor. I just removed both programs and re-installed Medial portal to the March 27 SVN and the updated the lated StreamedMP skin along with Moving Pictures latest. Seems a bit better but I am wondering now if trying something like ffdshow may improve picture quality for Xvid videos. Maybe it has to do with how some of the files are encoded? The higher end rips I have the picture is very nice.

It just seems that if I play the xvid videos in Windows Media Player the picture seems greatly improved. Not sure why that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom