Video Card Suggestions... (1 Viewer)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I have a question related to this thread, I don't want to hijack it but it's so related that may not make sense to start a new one.

I built a new HTPC, my old one was aging and had some aches. I used a Sapphire 4670 with 512 MB GDDR4 video card for two reasons: HDMI port (with audio) and large quiet fan (it's impossible to hear it, the CPU fan is louder even at 1000 rpm). I've used ATI AVIVO in my older HTPC (Radeon HD3650) and they were excellent, so I stick to what works.

The problem is that picture quality is bad, worse than what i had with VGA cable (at 1024x768). I've set the video card to output using standard 720p (on a 1080p TFT TV). The color range is correct, but I had to adjust the underscan option in CCC so all the screen fits in (with some lines being cut or else I had black lines at the left and also above). But still I get a shadow next to the pixels; web pages and other content with pixel width characters are difficult to read. The same effect if you use analog output (VGA) and don't have properly calibrated the signal on the TFT monitor. I've tried other resolutions like 1080p, but no luck. I thought that HDMI was like DVI, where the screen is sent pixel by pixel (instead of an analog signal that you have to render across lines of pixels and the screen has to figure out where to draw each pixel), but that doesn't seem to be true. I could use a DVI to VGA to get a much better picture quality, but I'd loose the ability to run 16:9 resolutions (my TV doesn't accept 16:9 resolutions on the VGA port -not very cleverly designed-) and a single cable for audio and picture.

I'm no expert in this area, so if someone can enlighten me :) .

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Are you using the same hdmi port as before?

I find on my 32" samsung full-hd that port 1 gives good picture quality for pc-> hdmi and that the other ports dont (It actually specifies in the manual for that tv to use hdmi1 for pc). Dont know about your setup but it might be as simple as trying a different port to see if that improves the shadowing issue.

Good luck with it

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    My video card has 2 DVI ports plus one HDMI. Of course I'm using the HDMI. I'll try using DVI 1 with a DVI to HDMI cable that I have and see, but it makes no sense. I hope it also outputs audio.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    igalan

I think he is talking about your TV connections, not the pc, have you more than 1 hdmi connection on the TV, if so try that.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Oh, yes, you're right. I'm using the HDMI-1 on the TV, HDMI-2 is being used for the PS3 because for some reason the PS3 only works properly on port 2, on port 1 I get occasional flicker so I hope that's not the problem. There's also a third HDMI port that I can use. Thanks for the tips :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom