Video on Demand ... BT Style :) (1 Viewer)

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm not at all acknowledging it has a negative impact on a swarm. I'm saying it has no impact on a swarm because of an inherent diversity of clients and number of seeds in popular torrents.

How about in the same way Azureus can specify 'High/Normal/Do Not Download' priorities for files in a torrent, a modified BT client just specifies 'High Priority' for pieces in a Left-to-Right order and dynamically changes the priority in the single file.

That is, dynamically specifiy Pieces 1-10 High... once 1-5 are finished... specify 5-15 high... that idea.

That sounds like it would be within the specification... :)

arkay

Portal Member
June 20, 2006
What about usenet? From what I've seen it's every bit as "available" in terms of content and downloading is much much faster if you have access to the right servers.

It would lend itself to a preview type model too.

Cheers,

Arkay.

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
My understanding is unfortunately Usenet breaks the files in .RAR's so you'd need the entire download before you can unpack it.

To preview it would have to be an upload that's a single AVI file.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
If it doesn't have any impact on the swarm then why would you say that it could be disabled if there must be less than x seeds? I figured you were saying "well, it has a negative impact but because there are so many clients who are playing fair anyway, the negative impact will be negligible".

If this were implemented in some sort of special client (MediaPortal torrent client, or external client) I am sure that it would be banned from your private trackers anyway, so I guess it is a moot point. You could still use it with public trackers, I guess, the quality of public swarms (speed and data integrity wise) is so poor anyway that I doubt anybody would notice that you were cheating the system.

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
I really don't agree that you think private sites would think of this as 'cheating'. I'd think many private sites that specialize in TV shows would have no problem with this.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Perhaps they wouldn't, but considering they have moved to block torrent clients that do very similar things with piece requests (reordering, flooding, etc) in the past, I don't see why this modification would be the exception.

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
They block clients that cause flooding problems like with too many retries, or obvious cheating clients.

I've never heard of a client being banned for the order they ask pieces in...

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Bitcomet does/did a similar thing with piece requests that breaks super-seeding and this is one of the reasons it was banned.

CriMsoN

Portal Member
March 27, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
BillyGates: I love the idea of automatic downloading the latest ep's of my favorite tv shows (24, lost, prison break, etc.).

I'm using Torrentspy and Mininova now, but i understand u know some specialized tv-show torrentsites where your speed is determined by your share-ratio?? I'd like to know which sites you recommend.

I do think, however jawbroken has a point... I think you underestimate the power of convenience... A lot of people would like the idea to watch a show/movie that hasn't been fully downloaded yet. Not that they all gonna do that, but why won't you use it if have the opportunity...

On the other hand: you can compensate by seeding... I understand that most of your torrents download in 30min's. So what is the big fuss if you download left to right for 30mins, then seed for a couple of hours or even days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom