video stuttering on client pc (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Last night i was watching a film which was being shown on channel 4 HD freesat which was working no issues at all. I decided to stop the film and continue watching in my bedroom via a mediaportal client pc. First of all i got 'directors commentary' which i have switched off. This morning though ive got serious stuttering of HD channels and also on normal freesate SD. If i play through my TV server everything is fine, no stuttering, everything decoding with no issues.

Ive done a few checks as mentioned in other threads such as tweaking codecs. Ive reset both computers and my network and stopped any additional network traffic (ie downloads). I have changed streaming port numbers and reset things with no joy. I moved my timeshift folder onto another drive this morning and thought this maybe the problem...but its not. Ive turned on/off dynamic refresh rates which hasnt made a difference. Ive altered screen resolutions which has not helped.

My TV server and Client are connected via a network switch. Im not sure what other things to try before i start looking at hardware issues.

Seems to be stuttering on recorded tv aswell. It has been working fine all last week.

Any help would be appreciated

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    copy tv recording to local folder on bedroom client.

play recording via server tv recordings in bdrm mp client
    play same recording via local folder / my videos in bdrm mp client

if both stutter it is client playback setup issue
    if only recording via server stutters it is network issue

also: re-do your system specs, can not read (click link on left under your name and see)

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    hi Neil - Difficult to say without more info.

Need logs and more detail on the network, system spec's don't cover that:)

See <https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-and-fill-in-system-specs-for-support.118424/> re logs & FAQ - need logs from server & client - suggest you copy logs to backup location, start clean & try and recreate problem, noting time you have issues, makes looking at logs much easier, if they are clean and have time stamps for issues.

Other things.

Your switch - managed or unmanaged, the ports for server & client - what are they set at [typically they will negotiate speed themselves].
    Try a big file transfer from TV Server to Client, look at that the speed of the file transfer [this is limited by source & destination drives, but should give you an indication.
    Power cycle the switch if you've not already done it [sound's bizzare but I've crap networking until pc'd switch]. Unplug & replug cables, akin to hitting the TV in the old days, but it worked [yep, I be old enough to have worked with valves:-[

Cheers - JCMP

I see my post crossed Kiwi's:)

Last edited:

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks for the replies.

Something strange is going on here. I've been ripping some movies as MLB pass through and have been decoding and playing with no problems at all on the tv server. Just tried to watch a movie and that is now stuttering. When I turn on the client video plays ok, but seems to get affected when the server is on as well. Also when I try to watch DVD or blu rays I'm getting a lot of 'cannot play divx...etc codec needed'

First thing I would like to try is installing a mediaportal codec pack. What is the best to use?

Secondly I will try your test mentioned above and put some media files on the local client machine to determine why this isn't working.

I had a quick look in my loft where the server client and network switch is and all looks good. TV server plays live tv fine, most movies etc with no stutter. The client seems to be better when I tried it earlier but it does seem a little juddery. I'm not happy with it.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Only install lav or saf. See play back guide link in my SIG regarding codec setup. If you have codec packs uninstall them now although the damage is sometimes irreversible.

Last edited:

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi,

Yes i will uninstall extra codecs and revert to standard LAV codecs installed during mediaportal installation.

I remember having this problem with windows media centre. It was an absolute pain in the ar*e. I remember messing about for weeks until i found the solution which was to select audio output in FFDShow to decode DTS...etc and everything worked. I then had HD TV decoding correctly (to whatever the stream was) and could play my ripped MKV passthrough movies in HD with full surround.

I will have a look when i get chance and report back. TV Server in lounge is working ok and decoding FTA SD & HD, its just movies...but i think this is a codec clang. My cliet though is the problem as everything is jittery.

Will report back soon. Thanks for your support.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    it sounds like you already have codec packs on the PC, damage may already be done :) if you have problems then uninstall all codecs, then use SAF codec pack for MePo to clean your system

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Right tonight ive managed to have a play and sorted the following...

1) My TV Server now decodes correctly with no stutter on HDTV FTA and also my movies etc play fine. I uninstalled codecs, re-installed LAV for mediaportal and setup my audio output etc correctly. Just moved onto the client. HD is still stuttering with the same codec setup on my client. Im recording something in HD. If i try to watch the program im recording its worse.

Still having a play about but no success yet
    ][DOUBLEPOST=1376342647][/DOUBLEPOST]I can also confirm that with LAV setup correctly on my client i can watch any movies and downloaded TV series, however if i try to watch recorded tv or live tv from my server (especially on HD channels) its badly pixilated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom