Tools and other software Video2MKV Convert a new App to remuxx all your videos to mkv with a single click (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.

Link to German Forum

Let me introduce you Video2MKV_Convert, an app to convert (remuxx) lots of video files to MKV with one click. So you can go through your whole collection of Videos and put them into the best available container today. It takes only a few seconds to minutes, depending on the size of the video and the speed of your drive as no recoding is done. Similar time as to copy the files. As for this the quality (picture and sound) stays untouched.

V2MKV-2.jpg

V2MKV can convert whole folders including subfolders and subfolders of subfolders and so on. If you want you can "move" the videos to mkv (means the originals will be deleted after conversion was successful). As this is really dangerous I can not recommend this until you exactly know what you do.

The app is fully localized. English and German language files are provided with initial release. As language files are simple .ini files they can be created or edited with Notepad or any other editor. If your language isn't supported jet, just copy and edit the English.ini (or Deutsch.ini) to "Yourlanguage.ini". As soon as the ini file exists in Language subfolder it's available in Configuration too. And please, if you've created a language file, share it here so it can be included in next release...

V2MKV-1.jpg

If there is a Matroska compatible tagfile available, those tags will be added to the resulting file as well. The tagfiles must be in the same place as the video file and must have the same name as the video, only with .xml as extension. E.G. "Fringe_S05E13 - An Enemy of Fate.mp4" needs a tagfile named: "Fringe_S05E13 - An Enemy of Fate.xml" nearby... Sample xml is attached also. With this the Series Name, Season and Episodes number will be added into file metadata so no matter how this file is named, it can always be correctly parsed by smart applications like MediaPortal2. I believe other programs will add this feature soon too. To generate those tagfiles you can launch MPTvSeries2MKV.exe from inside V2MKV... MPTvSeries2MKV reads your MyTVSeries Database, generates tagfiles for all your files and can add those tags to all .mkv already in your collection without the need to remuxx them. All this is done with a few clicks also...

Right now V2MKV supports .avi, .mpg, .ts, .mov, .wmv, .flv and .mp4 files. More can be added if needed in future. As this app uses ffmpeg.exe and mkvmerge.exe all filetypes supported by those can be added here to...

I've written this in AutoIt3. Source is included so if you want to change something, have fun...

Installation:
    No Installation needed, simply extract the archive to a place you like. If you prefer you can add a shortcut to Video2MKV.exe to your desktop and/or start menu for better access to the proggi.
    First Start:
    After first start you need to configure the program to fit your needs. The path to MPTvSeries2MKV.exe is optional as it's not needed to run. If you don't want to use the deliverd versions of ffmpeg.exe and/or mkvmerge.exe you can change the path to those two tools. Both are necessary to keep Video2MKVConvert working.

Changings in Configuration requires a restart of the program to become active...
    The last In- and Outdir will be saved automatically on program exit.

There are two Downloads available. A full and a lite version. Only difference is that in full version ffmpeg.exe and mkvmerge.exe is included. In lite you can use your already existing (or separate downloaded) tools. If you have MKVToolnix and ffmpeg installed already it is useless to load the full version.

Version History.
    v 0.1.0 initial version only to convert wmv as wmv isn't supported by mkvmerge at all.
    v 0.1.3 first public Alpha release with incomplete GUI and no Config Tool
    v 0.2.0 First public Beta

Todo List.
    - Option to add tags to already existing MKV
    - Add more containers
    - Maybe an option to recode the files as well
    - Create an installer
    - ???

As always, use it at your own risk. And please report bugs and feature requests here...

Attachments

• Video2mkv_convert.7z
      8.3 MB
    • Video2mkv_convert_lite.7z
      332.9 KB
    • Fringe_S05E13 - An Enemy of Fate.xml
      604 bytes
    Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Right now V2MKV supports .avi, .mpg, .ts, .mov, .wmv, .flv and .mp4 files. More can be added if needed in future.

Does this mean that files with above extensions are not video converted (ie loss of quality) and they are just put inside the mkv container?[DOUBLEPOST=1362634656][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It takes only a few seconds to minutes, depending on the size of the video and the speed of your drive as no recoding is done. Similar time as to copy the files. As for this the quality (picture and sound) stays untouched.

Ahh ha :D

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Re- Encoding takes a long time. And this should be done wise, with different options for different files. For this a tool to do whole folder structures at once isn't a good place to do this.
    Originally I wrote this tool to simply get rid of WMV container as WMV isn't supported by mkvmerge. Then I found out it's really handy for other input- containers as well. MKV is able to handle nearly everything that has video and audio tracks. So imho mkv is the container to choose. Media tags are another big advantage of MKV, so I want to have as much videos as possible inside MKV container... That's the goal of V2MKV

mpsam

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2009
    @Lehmden. Thanks for your efforts. Two questions
    (i) Can you add support for DVD folders. I have over a 1000 movies and 5000 TV episodes that I took from DVDs.
    (Worked well for years, but now with advent of tablets I need to convert.)
    (ii) During the 'conversion', will it keep all the audio and subtitle options as the exist currently?

One Love
    Sam

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Can you add support for DVD folders
    Don't know. Personally I don't use DVD Folders. And I'm not sure if this can be done that easy. MakeMKV is the tool to choose in this case, I think. I will have a look, but I can't promise anything...

will it keep all the audio and subtitle options as the exist currently
    Yes it should. But before deleting any originals it's better to do some tests. On my files it works as expected but I can't guarantee it is working in 100% of all thinkable cases...

mpsam

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2009
    I tried MakeMKV and it worked for individual folders but I haven't been able to automate the process. I could not figure how to keep the name of the file. I got title00 each time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    I could not figure how to keep the name of the file. I got title00 each time
    One of the lots of big disadvantages of optical media like DVD or BD... All files are named the same, no way to automate something here... Maybe if you named the folders corresponding to the movie. But this can not work for series episodes. Don't believe it will be possible at all... I exactly know why I never ever use any DVD/BD structure. Every DVD/BD will be ripped with MakeMKV as soon as I got hands on and then never be touched again...

mpsam

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2009
    The movies are named 'MovieName (yyyy)' with just the main title included, and the series have already been ripped into episodes named 'Series - SxxExx'. In MP TVSeries I use '<series> - S<season>E<episode>VIDEO_TS.IFO' for scraping. So if the script could just use the folder name it would be ok.

You are right. DVD/BD are for 'transport purposes only' from the store to home. Conversion gives much greater flexibility. I originally had ripped one disc to try MP TVSeries and was so impressed by it that I just kept going. Now I have found myself with >5000 DVD folders. :(. And with tablets in the house and aMPdroid, I need to make the library more accessible

Johnny Bye Bye

November 6, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Good evening. I am interested in MKV files and related apps, so I translated the ini file and I create an Italian.ini for the app Video2MKV Convert who's workin well. This message is for the software realiser and for all the italian user of the app (wich is very useful, thanks to Lehmden).
    The file is attached to this message.

Best Regards.

Johnny Bye Bye
    ----------------------------
    P.S. If anyone wants to contact me for something related to Matroska file, x264, italian translations for GUIs and so on, You can write to johnnybgoode68(at)gmail.com.

See You soon.

Attachments

• Italian.zip
      857 bytes

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Users who are viewing this thread