Videos not showing up and TV server crashes on setup (1 Viewer)

Raife_1

June 8, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey everyone. Getting a HTPC up and running so we can cut the cord. I had XBMC up and running for our videos and had no problems with running my video library off my Windows Home Server Machine in the basement and then had WMC (Vista 64 Ultimate version) for TV. I am using a Happauge 2260 card off an antenna in the attic.

So two issues:

1) I cannot get MediaPortal to recognize my videos - they are all in MPEG-4. I have tried through mapping to the folder on the server and also tried placing one in the local default folder - no go. I can get to the folders but the movies are not shown. I downloaded and installed the codecs per the directions.

2) In setting up my TV turner, the computer blue-screens EVERY time I try to Scan for Channels analog. I have received 2 errors: "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" and "bccode d1 driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"

So I have removed and reinstalled all drivers for the Hauppauge and completely removed and reinstalled MediaPortal. No luck in solving the problem.

Again everything worked fine with the XBMC and WMC.

Computer setup is:
EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
2 X EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ (SLI)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
OCZ NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3N1800SR4GK
Hauppauge Win-TV-HVR-2250

Any ideas are apprciated. I really look forward to a single solution (i.e. MediaPortal), but wonder if I need to go back to the dual solution (XBMC and WMC).

Thanks everyone in advance

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

1) I cannot get MediaPortal to recognize my videos - they are all in MPEG-4. I have tried through mapping to the folder on the server and also tried placing one in the local default folder - no go. I can get to the folders but the movies are not shown. I downloaded and installed the codecs per the directions.

Suspect this is the extension used on the vids not being in MP standard data set.

In MP Config, click on Videos, select Video Extensions and then add file type - .mp4 or whatever IF it's not already in list. If extension type is listed, then I'm wrong and it's something more complicated.

Re TV - sorry, can't help here.

Good luck - JCMP

Raife_1

June 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks JCMP

So I stayed up way too late last night and got the TV tuner to mostly work by using ASTC instead of analog. I still get BSOD on analog - I may just bite the bullet and stick with ASTC.

I set my desktop to encode a video in mkv last night to see if MP likes that better. So I will try that when I get home. I did try changing the extensions/codecs in MP Config, but not sure I did it correctly.

Thanks and I will keep people posted.

Raife_1

June 8, 2012
    Home Country
    So mkv worked and solved the issue. However, after much deliberation and internet serches I am flipping to WMCE 7. While I understand in the long run MP is likely a better platform - I just need something to work out of the box right now.

Thanks for the help and maybe MP and I will cross paths later in life...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hiya Raife_1

Sorry about the frustration. Before you go may I ask was there a "last straw"? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm also interested to know why you wanted the analog tuner to work - NTSC is all switched off these days. FYI, I think you would have needed to configure the 2250 as two hybrid cards (because each tuner can only be used as ATSC/QAM *or* analog at any given time). Many people do have 2250s (or 2200/2210s for the rest of the world) working nicely in MP...

Good luck once again.

mm
    :)

Raife_1

June 8, 2012
    Home Country
    I wouldn't say it was a last straw, mostly cumulated frustration. I generally think I am pretty computer savvy (I build my own computers, I have dabbled in FreeNAS, etc.), but I just kept coming across stumbling blocks with MP. The first frustration was the videos on my server not showing up. So I went through and installed all the codecs per the recommendations, still nothing, so I mucked around some more. They are all extension MPEG-4. Then there was the problem with the analog channels. This may have been a newbie issue on my part as nowhere was there a recommendation that I just use ATSC (now I know better) - BUT when the analog scan would start I did get channels (it usually BSOD around the channel 50 and up). Since I was picking up stations, I assumed that I should continue down the analog path. I did multiple reinstalls of MP and the Hauppauge drivers, but still no luck. Then I tried to start from real scratch and also uninstalled MySQL 5 thinking something could be wrong in there (FYI - I know NOTHING about SQL), but then I kept keeping an error about the password when I tried to reinstall MP and MySQL 5 - after more web searches I realized you couldn't just uninstall MySql 5 from the Programs and Features, you had to go in and delete 2 folders (one of them hidden). After 3 evenings and too much lost sleep, I did get it to work through ATSC and selected EPG, but then couldn't get it to download at the time, so it wasn't helpful. Then I re-transcoded one of my videos to mkv and it worked, but this indicated to me that I would need to redo my entire library, which I wasn't interested in.

So after much web trawling yesterday and so many posts about WMCE 7 "just working" and the need for a stable, platform with HIGH WAF I decided to switch - so I went out and bought Windows 7 Professional (I wanted to get off Vista anyway). I am a tinkerer, my wife is not - and inevitably I will be on business travel and it won't work. We are cutting the satellite/cable cord next week and she is already putting a lot of faith in me that all will be fine. So I needed to go with the "just works" option, even if I lose some power and functionality.

I have heard and read great things about MP and like I said, maybe we will cross paths again in the future. Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cheers for the feedback Raife_1 - makes sense. Once again, all the best with WMC. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom