Tools and other software view movies on another PC without stand by (2 Viewers)

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
So, i have my movies stored on the disk, which is hooked up to my HTPC. What software should i use to view those movies on another computer?

I have tried simple windows file sharing, but problem is that i have set my HTPC to sleep after a while so I'm looking for a solution that will prevent computer from sleeping.

Oh, and it should also supports subtitles.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi matejdro,

MP has a setting to prevent shutdown when there is network activity, check the configuration panels.
    It all depends on what you want on your other pc, one of the simplest option is to use VLC

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Yes MP prevents it, but also utorrent is running on HTPC. And for utorrent i have separate program that handles standby prevention, sometimes it even shuts it down when there is activity, so global network activity is not an option. Maybe something that would detect activity only on file sharing?

Best solution would be app like that:

1. I press Wake Up (my PC will wake HTPC)
    2. now HTPC is awakened and will not-auto sleep until that app is closed or i press button to stop preventing in that app.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    mediaportals TV server has a built in power config ..Powerscheduler (use that in your htpc assuming you have the tv server installed on your htpc)
    this will "wake" from S3 standby when your client sends a WOL (wake on lan)

so your client PC running MP (not htpc but the other pc) can wake the htpc and keep it awake as long as MP is running on the client PC

take a look on the powerscheduler settings in the tv server and on the client pc

ie. both PCS run Mediaportal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom