viewing live tv service on a mac book (1 Viewer)

smith69085

Portal Member
May 7, 2009
Hi I have recently switched to Media portal as a home theatre and media server and all is good. However i'v recently got a mac book (intel chip) and media portal is not on mac which is not too much bother as i can access videos and recorded TV over file sharing. What I would like to do though is watch the live TV service on the mac. Is there an app to do this? Surly i can't be the first person to think this!

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I don't have a perfect solution. What I'm thinking of is more of a workaround. I don't know if it'll work, its just an idea.

You could start a recording on the TVserver. This would then produce a .ts file in the recordings folder, of the ongoing program. This recording is playable in VLC on windows, so I suppose it can be played on MAC as well.
A way to start the recording, could be with the webinterface that Big_Kev has made.
THere are some Live Streaming options, but I think those also only work on Windows PC's.

smith69085

Portal Member
May 7, 2009
Thanks jonaskp

That could work. You mentioned some live streaming options for windows. Do you have any links or names regarding this. My thinking is maybe these could be made to work using a windows emulator on the mac?

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
This is the webinterface I was talking about. It has the ability to stream over the internet, but I am not sure how it is working or if it is in fact restricted to windows. You could try it out.

I use ForTheRecord which is a scheduler/TV plugin that completely takes over the original TV plugin. There is an application for windows that serves as both configuration tool and access to LiveTV/Recordings/Scheduling from a windows application - without MediaPortal itself being installed.
The architechure of this plugin (is actually more of a real program on its own) is quite open from what I've heard and it is possible to write plugins for other Applications that MediaPortal (A meedios plugin is in delevopment I think). Perhaps there is a possibility to make this work on Mac. Either with some sort of emulator or, if you are an advanced user, actually writing some Mac Application that can access the ForTheRecord system.
I am not sure if it is possible, but you could try looking into it.

smith69085

Portal Member
May 7, 2009
Mac's are useless

I have given up! quite a while ago but i figured i would update here. The mac book i was using was brand new and up to date but seemed very unstable using the internet could crash the window! I have used macs quite a bit as i work in media and my advise is, If you want a stable computer,get a pc delete vista and install Win XP or linux if you are computer savy and willing to learn. If you already have a mac then apple have alredy built a windows installes utility in to the os which will partition and install windows perfectly allowing you to acctualy enjoy using quality mac hardware without the software! And more to the point mediaportal

jayendra

Portal Pro
March 23, 2008
Home Country
I use my macbook all the time on live.ts streams over the shared wireless modem.

All I do is ...
1. Turn the media portal TV on in the lounge (PC)
2. Go to my bedroom and press cmd K in finder
3. Connect to my other computers address 192.168.1.1
4. Brose for my recorded/live TV folder on the PC
5. Open the .ts live or reocorded.ts file and watch on VLC

Interestingly if your watching a Live.ts stream it will get towards the end and then just move back abit and keep playing.
You may also wish to increase your live.ts file size so you don't keep having to move to the next live file. Mine are about 500mb and 6 of them.

P.S. This is great if you have a wife that wants to watch something and you want to watch something else, but you will need a dual tuner for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom