VLC and URC seamless integration into media portal (1 Viewer)

Nigel

Portal Member
November 6, 2007
Toronto
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hello every one

I know most of you love VLC and want to know how to get it to run in media portal with out a keyboard or having to manually exit out of VLC back to media portal. Try this it takes it takes some added pieces of hardware but it works really well. A skilled MSC 400 programmer would help.

Pieces required

One URC MX 900 (any of there remotes high than the 900 will also work)and MSC 400. Also any usb capable remote will work.
Any computer running Media portal and VLC.

The Msc 400 has a usb jack on the back of it that when plugged in to any pc registers it as a keyboard. Program the msc 400/ mx 900 to run as a keyboard . Setup the remote to Media portals hot keys.

Setup media portal to "always on top" in the general settings. Set VLC as the external player.

In VLCs settings / interface/ hotkeys settings menu set up VLC to the same hotkeys as Media portal with the exception of set quit in VLC to the same setting as stop in Media portal (b is stop ).

Its the best of both worlds. The only downside is that VLC will not remeber where you stopped the movie a feature I do like on media portal. I will trade that for hassle free codecs way better picture and sound any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom