Wake On LAN from outside Local network (1 Viewer)

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    I solved the problem by VPN in to my router and then send the magic packet using iWOL. HAs the added benefit of not punching a hole in your firewall, and can wake up any host on your LAN.

Last edited:

sunfire7

Portal Pro
    March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Mexico Mexico
    Well, I have a tomato compatible router (linksys E3000) and I can do WOL over 3G with my iphone:

You need a free app called RemoteBoot, insert there the mac adress of the computer you want to wake up, your external ip and port 9.

In tomato config > administration > scripts > wan up, put the following:

arp -s 192.168.1.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

In port forwarding, forward UDP packets from port 9 to 192.168.1.254

That's all

If anyone is interested in a more detailed explanation just let me know

Last edited:

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Doh! Ok thanks for having a look for me. Can you recommend a wireless N router that would let me perform remote wake-ups? Dont want to spend mega bucks.

Hi eeatylog.

TP-LINK WR1043ND Wireless Gigabit Router - there are both settings which are required for WOL over Internet:

1. Port forwarding (forwarded port 7 from external network to port 7 to internal IP adres of awaikening computer)
    2. ARP binding (created permannet ARP relation between MAC and IP address of awaikening computer)

The router has good price and very optimal functions for the home using (1xWAN port, 4x RJ45 1Gbps ports, 1xWiFi (B/g/n - max.300Mbps) with 3 antennas.

JiRo.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Doh! Ok thanks for having a look for me. Can you recommend a wireless N router that would let me perform remote wake-ups? Dont want to spend mega bucks.

Hi eeatylog.

TP-LINK WR1043ND Wireless Gigabit Router - there are both settings which are required for WOL over Internet:

1. Port forwarding (forwarded port 7 from external network to port 7 to internal IP adres of awaikening computer)
    2. ARP binding (created permannet ARP relation between MAC and IP address of awaikening computer)

The router has good price and very optimal functions for the home using (1xWAN port, 4x RJ45 1Gbps ports, 1xWiFi (B/g/n - max.300Mbps) with 3 antennas.

JiRo.

I have the same router, and it works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom